This recipe for Instant Pot Split Pea soup is creamy, smoky and super flavorful soup. It's a one pot wonder that’s ready in about 30 minutes!
A THICK AND CREAMY SOUP
Look, split pea soup is pretty ugly. I can't even pretend otherwise. But it tastes really good! It's a thick and rich soup that is a classic dish for a reason. We are giving it more flavor by adding some garlic and using a dash of liquid smoke. When you combine that with the flavors of the chopped ham and the sliced leeks, I guarantee this will be your new favorite soup recipe!
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS SPLIT PEA SOUP RECIPE:
- If you can't find leeks, just use about ¼ cup of diced sweet onion.
- This recipe is amazing for leftover ham. After Christmas or Easter when you have more ham than you know what to do with, remember this recipe!
- Dried green split peas can generally be found where the dried beans are in your grocery store.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- leftover chopped ham
- dried green split peas
- salt and pepper
- liquid smoke
- chicken broth
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT SPLIT PEA SOUP:
Wash and cut all the vegetables needed and chop ham. Sort and rinse the dried split peas. Look for any little hard bits that should be removed.
Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot, stir and seal. Cook on Manual high pressure for 15 minutes. Carefully release the steam by doing a quick steam release.
Thin the soup with water if needed to bring it to the consistency you desire.
The soup will continue to thicken as it cools.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
SLOW COOKER LEEK & POTATO SOUP
ONE POT BEST EVER BEEF STEW
CROCK POT CREAMY TUSCAN CHICKEN SOUP
INSTANT POT STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
INSTANT POT CURRIED SPLIT PEA SOUP
INSTANT POT CUBED STEAK & GRAVY
INSTANT POT PORK CHILI
INSTANT POT AMERICAN GOULASH
Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 1 cup leftover chopped ham
- 1 ½ cups dried green split peas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 quart chicken broth
- Secure the lid in place and set the vent to sealing.
- Cook on Manual high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Thin the soup with water if needed to bring it to the consistency you desire. The soup will continue to thicken as it cools.
This recipe has been adapted from the Fix It and Forget It Instant Pot Cookbook.