Instant Pot Ham (+Video)
Instant Pot Bone-In Ham is an easy, moist, flavorful recipe. All that is needed is ham, brown sugar, pineapple juice and ground cloves.
INSTANT POT BONE-IN HAM
I know we all tend to make hams mostly during the holidays, but this recipe is really an anytime recipe. It is so good. Plus, you can make the ham and use leftovers for so many other amazing recipes like my Crock Pot Creamy Potato and Ham Soupor Ham Salad.
WHAT IS A SEMI-BONELESS HAM?
Normally a whole bone-in ham consists of a hip bone and a leg bone. In a semi-boneless ham, that hip joint (shank) has been removed, leaving only a smaller bit of leg bone. This just makes for easier carving. Shopping for a ham can be confusing because often farms and companies will call them different names. So, look for a ham that is not spiral sliced, will fit into your Instant Pot (about 6-7 pounds) and has a bone in it.
CAN I USE A SPIRAL-SLICED HAM?
I’ve learned after many years of cooking spiral-sliced hams that they tend to dry out easily unless you’re super vigilant. I think you get much better flavor by getting a whole ham and carving it yourself after cooking. Also, with a bone-in ham, you get a much deeper flavor. That bone adds flavor! But, If you absolutely cannot find a bone-in ham that fits in your Instant Pot, then you could certainly use a spiral-sliced ham or a small boneless ham.
TIPS FOR MAKING INSTANT POT HAM:
- Make sure your ham fits into your Instant Pot. Some pots are 6 quart, some are 6.5 quart, others are 8 or 9 quart. This recipe works with all size pressure cookers, just make sure you get a ham that fits your pot.
- It will take time for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure. When I tested this recipe, it took about 10 minutes to come up to full pressure. Another 15 minutes to cook then another 15 minutes to naturally release pressure.
- Apple juice can be used in place of pineapple juice.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- unsliced semi-boneless ham
- pineapple juice
- light brown sugar
- ground cloves
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT BONE-IN HAM:
Place ham into the bottom of a 6-quart Instant Pot.
Pour pineapple juice over ham.
Combine the brown sugar with the ground cloves. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the ham.
Slide the lid into place on the Instant Pot. Set the pressure release valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release (about 20 minutes.) Remove ham from Instant Pot.
Cover with foil and let sit for about 5-10 minutes before carving.
Instant Pot Ham (+Video)
- 6 pound bone-in ham (semi-boneless)
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cloves
- Place ham into the bottom of a 6-quart (or larger) Instant Pot.
- Pour pineapple juice over ham.
- Combine the brown sugar with the cloves and sprinkle on top of the ham.
- Slide the lid into place on the Instant Pot. Set the pressure release valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Let the pressure naturally release then carefully remove ham from Instant Pot.
- Cover with foil and let sit for about 5-10 minutes before carving.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
It was easy and juicy. My first recipe in my instant pot. Thank you
Thanks so very much Linda!
May be a silly questions, but is this a pre-cooked ham?
I have the same question and would be interested in the answer.
Hey Jeff! Yep, it’s a precooked ham. Most all hams you find in your regular grocery store are all precooked (usually smoked) so all you’re essentially doing is heating it back up. It’s rare to find an actual raw ham in grocery stores (sometimes they are called a picnic ham) but it would say right on the label. 🙂
Not a silly question at all! Yes, it’s a precooked ham. All ham is precooked that you find in your normal store. It’s rare to find actual raw ham (sometimes called a picnic ham) Hope that helps!
We made this and really enjoyed it! Thanks so much!