Instant Pot Bone-In Ham is an easy, moist, flavorful recipe. All that is needed is ham, brown sugar, pineapple juice and ground cloves.
INSTANT POT BONE-IN HAM
I know we all tend to make hams mostly during the holidays, but this recipe is really an anytime recipe. It is so good. Plus, you can make the ham and use leftovers for so many other amazing recipes like my CROCK POT CREAMY POTATO & HAM SOUP or HAM SALAD.
WHAT IS A SEMI-BONELESS HAM?
Normally a whole bone-in ham consists of a hip bone and a leg bone. In a semi-boneless ham, that hip joint (shank) has been removed, leaving only a smaller bit of leg bone. This just makes for easier carving. Shopping for a ham can be confusing because often farms and companies will call them different names. So, look for a ham that is not spiral sliced, will fit into your Instant Pot (about 6-7 pounds) and has a bone in it.
CAN I USE A SPIRAL-SLICED HAM?
I've learned after many years of cooking spiral-sliced hams that they tend to dry out easily unless you're super vigilant. I think you get much better flavor by getting a whole ham and carving it yourself after cooking. Also, with a bone-in ham, you get a much deeper flavor. That bone adds flavor! But, If you absolutely cannot find a bone-in ham that fits in your Instant Pot, then you could certainly use a spiral-sliced ham or a small boneless ham.
TIPS FOR MAKING INSTANT POT HAM:
- Make sure your ham fits into your Instant Pot. Some pots are 6 quart, some are 6.5 quart, others are 8 or 9 quart. This recipe works with all size pressure cookers, just make sure you get a ham that fits your pot.
- It will take time for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure. When I tested this recipe, it took about 10 minutes to come up to full pressure. Another 15 minutes to cook then another 15 minutes to naturally release pressure.
- Apple juice can be used in place of pineapple juice.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT BONE-IN HAM:
Pour pineapple juice over ham.Combine the brown sugar with the ground cloves. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the ham.Slide the lid into place on the Instant Pot. Set the pressure release valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release (about 20 minutes.) Remove ham from Instant Pot.Cover with foil and let sit for about 5-10 minutes before carving.
CRAVING MORE? GIVE THESE RECIPES A TRY!
THE BEST (EASY) SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
COLLARD GREENS WITH HAM BONE
HONEY-GLAZED SWEET POTATOES
INSTANT POT BACON GREEN BEANS & POTATOES
CROCK POT MACARONI & CHEESE
CROCK POT SWEET CORN SPOON BREAD
CROCK POT MILLION DOLLAR MASHED POTATOES
THE BEST INSTANT POT MEALOAF
INSTANT POT AMERICAN GOULASH
INSTANT POT ITALIAN STUFFED PEPPERS
INSTANT POT SPINACH ARTICHOKE CHICKEN
INSTANT POT MACARONI & CHEESE
THE BEST INSTANT POT BONE-IN HAM
- 1 6 lb bone-in ham (semi-boneless)
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ tsp ground cloves
- Place ham into the bottom of a 6-quart (or larger) Instant Pot.
- Pour pineapple juice over ham.
- Combine the brown sugar with the cloves and sprinkle on top of the ham.
- Slide the lid into place on the Instant Pot. Set the pressure release valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Let the pressure naturally release then carefully remove ham from Instant Pot.
- Cover with foil and let sit for about 5-10 minutes before carving.