It’s Soup Weather!
Potatoes and Ham
I love creamy potato soups so that was my inspiration for this. I wish y’all could have smelled my house as this was cooking throughout the day. It smelled so dang good! The ham gives this soup such great flavor and all of that gets infused as it cooks low and slow. And I don’t think I love any herb quite as much as thyme. It is absolutely perfect for soups because it adds flavor without overpowering the other ingredients.
What I love about using these Little Potatoes is I don’t even have to cut them up. I can toss them right in. Now, if you want smaller pieces or yours are on the larger side, then go ahead and slice them in half. All of these were so small that they were easily one-bite potatoes. I love seeing the thick chunks of ham and potatoes. But this is your soup so make it to your preferences. If you cut up the potatoes and ham into smaller pieces, you can cut down on the cooking time.
Then place in diced ham.
Next, toss in diced onions and carrots.
Sprinkle with parsley, thyme and black pepper.
Pour chicken broth over mixture.
Then cover slow cooker with the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Then, take out about 4 cups of the little potatoes and mash them up.
Then put the mashed potatoes back into the slow cooker.
Pour in heavy cream.
This next part is optional but I love the texture that it gives the soup. It thickens it up just a little bit.
Pour in one cup of instant potato flakes.
Then stir well. Put the lid back on and cook for another 15 minutes.
- 3 lbs little potatoes cubed, (7 cups)
- 3 cups diced ham
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- In a 6 qt (or larger) slow cooker, add in potatoes, diced ham, onions and carrots.
- Sprinkle with parsley, thyme and black pepper.
- Pour chicken broth over mixture.
- Cover slow cooker with the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Then, take out about 4 cups of the little potatoes and mash them up.
- Put the mashed potatoes back into the slow cooker.
- Pour in heavy cream and add in instant potato flakes. Stir well.
- Put the lid back on and cook for another 15 minutes.
This is delicious served with a nice loaf of warm, crusty bread.