This Crock Pot Creamy Potato and Ham Soup is so flavorful and perfect for leftover ham. Packed full of potatoes, cream and seasoning!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. I am a proud ambassador for The Little Potato Company and all opinions are my own.
CROCK POT CREAMY POTATO AND HAM SOUP
I wish y’all could have smelled my house as this was cooking throughout the day. It smelled so dang good! The ham gives this soup such great flavor and all of that gets infused as it cooks low and slow. And I don’t think I love any herb quite as much as thyme. It is absolutely perfect for soups because it adds flavor without overpowering the other ingredients.
a small ham (this is best if you use a whole ham and dice it up)
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT HAM AND POTATO SOUP:
Then place in diced ham.
Next, toss in diced onions and carrots.
Sprinkle with parsley, thyme and black pepper.
Pour chicken broth over mixture.
Then cover slow cooker with the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Then, take out about 4 cups of the little potatoes and mash them up.
Then put the mashed potatoes back into the slow cooker.
Pour in heavy cream.
This next part is optional but I love the texture that it gives the soup. It thickens it up just a little bit.
Pour in one cup of instant potato flakes.
Then stir well. Put the lid back on and cook for another 15 minutes.
- 3 lbs little potatoes cubed, (7 cups)
- 3 cups diced ham (buy a whole ham and dice it up)
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- salt (to taste)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- In a 6 qt (or larger) slow cooker, add in potatoes, diced ham, onions and carrots.
- Sprinkle with parsley, thyme and black pepper.
- Pour chicken broth over mixture.
- Cover slow cooker with the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Then, take out about half of the cooked potatoes and mash them up.
- Put the mashed potatoes back into the slow cooker.
- Pour in heavy cream. Stir well.
- Slowly add instant pot flakes a little at a time and stir until it's reached your desired consistency (about one cup.)
- Put the lid back on and cook on low for another 15 minutes.