This Crock Pot Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup is creamy, flavorful and effortless. A simple but delectable soup recipe!
A COPYCAT CROCK POT SOUP
I always order the chicken gnocchi soup when I go to Olive Garden so obviously I had to make my own at home! I really wanted to create a slow cooker version. It took a few tries but I think I nailed it with this chicken gnocchi soup recipe. This soup is full of vegetables, chicken, gnocchi and more. If you are craving this restaurant favorite soup, then you have to whip up a batch of this easy Crock Pot Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup recipe.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP:
Gnocchi are little Italian dumplings made from potatoes. It's usually served with a sauce.
This uses fresh potato gnocchi. You can either use frozen or fresh. Both will work well in this recipe. Vacuum sealed packaged gnocchi can usually be found in the same grocery aisle as pasta.
Cornstarch is a thickener and it will help thicken this soup slightly.
Yes, you can do either one depending on your time frame. You can cook this on low for 6 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Keep an eye on it as some slow cookers tend to run hot.
A 6-quart crock pot should be able to fit all the ingredients for this recipe. If you want to go larger then you can absolutely use an 8 quart but would not use less than a 6 quart.
For this you can freshly shred carrots on a box grater or you can use matchstick carrots and just chop them up a little bit smaller.
This can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator where it will last for up to 3-4 days.
Yes.Allow soup to cool then scoop soup into a freezer safe bag. Seal bag well then lay flat in the freezer. It will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. When ready to serve, place bag into the refrigerator to defrost. Then pour soup into a pot and warm back up on the stove.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- chicken breasts
- yellow onion
- chicken broth
- ground thyme
- kosher salt and black pepper
- potato gnocchi
- heavy cream
- parmesan cheese, for serving
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP:
Add the chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker, followed by the diced onion, celery, carrots, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
Pour the broth into the slow cooker and cover. Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Remove the chicken breasts and dice or shred the meat, or shred in crock pot.
Return the diced/shredded chicken meat if removed and add in the gnocchi.
In a small bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and cornstarch. Pour the mixture into the soup, stir well. Set the slow cooker to high to cook for another 20-30 minutes.
Stir in the fresh spinach while hot to wilt.
Serve the soup hot with parmesan cheese and fresh parsley for garnish, enjoy!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
Crock Pot Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 cup celery sliced (about two stalks)
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces potato gnocchi
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese for serving
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Add the chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker, followed by the diced onion, celery, carrots, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Pour the broth into the slow cooker and cover. Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts or keep in the crock pot and dice or shred the meat. Set aside.
- Return the diced chicken meat if removed and add in the gnocchi.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and cornstarch. Pour the mixture into the soup, stir well.
- Set the slow cooker to high to cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh spinach while hot to wilt. Serve the soup hot with parmesan cheese and fresh parsley for garnish, enjoy!
- The cornstarch is used to thicken the soup, do not omit it.
- You can cook this soup on low or high.
- Frozen or fresh potato gnocchi can be used.
- Olive Garden uses a little bit of freshly grated nutmeg in their Chicken Gnocchi Soup. I chose to leave this ingredient out as it is not a common ingredient most folks have in their pantries. But please feel free to add a touch of freshly grated nutmeg to this soup if you prefer.
- Serve with breadsticks.
- Kale, collard greens or mustard greens can be substituted for the spinach.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.