From scratch version
1 1/2 cups very warm water
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks
- 1 1/2 cups very warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast 2 1/4 tsp
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour I like White Lily flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Garlic Butter topping:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water and allow to sit for 10 minutes, covered. Mixture should be frothy.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer or medium-sized bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Add yeast mixture and melted butter to flour mixture.
- Mix with dough hook attachment on stand mixer or stir with a wooden spoon until fully combined.
- Knead dough for a few minutes just until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray.
Pull off pieces of dough and roll out into strips. Remember these are going to double in size!
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap sprayed with nonstick spray (so dough doesn't stick to it from the inside) or cover with a clean kitchen towel and put in a warm place to rise.
- I like to preheat my oven to 150F degrees, then turn it off. I’ll put the breasticks in there to rise because it is a nice, warm & draft free area.
- Once they have doubled in size (about an hour), remove sheet from oven and preheat oven up to 400F degrees.
- Once it has reached temperature, take plastic wrap off of breadsticks and put in the oven to bake.
- While they are baking, make butter topping.
- Microwave butter until melted and add garlic powder and salt, stir until combined.
- After 6 or 7 minutes, brush the bread sticks with half the butter mixture.
- Then continue to bake for another 6-7 minutes.
- Immediately upon removal from the oven, brush the other half of the butter on the sticks.