This creamy Crock Pot Leek and Potato Soup is full of flavor and packed full of potatoes, leeks, celery, carrots, bacon, in a creamy broth.
CROCK POT LEEK & POTATO SOUP
I’ll admit I’m not a fan of cold weather. However, one upside to the cooler temperatures is it makes for a great time to eat and make soup. Something about the cooler weather just makes me crave good ole comfort food like soup like this Crock Pot Leek and Potato Soup.
VIDEO INCLUDED BELOW:
WHAT ARE LEEKS?
Have you ever seen a leek? Have you cooked with a leek? Do you know what one is? They look like an overgrown green onion and that’s because they are related. If you like onions and green onions, then chances are you going to enjoy the leek. It has a mild onion flavor. The only thing you have to remember when using leeks is you have to clean them well and cook them up before adding them to any dish. If you can’t find leeks where you live, then please feel free to substitute an onion in this recipe.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS FLAVORFUL SOUP:
- If you can’t find leeks, you can substitute for one medium onion.
- I serve this soup it with some warm, crusty bread. This way you can just dip it in the soup and it softens the bread a little and is scrumptious. Or, you could also serve with a salad.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese and bacon pieces.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
chicken broth or stock
dried dill weed
salt & pepper, to taste
half & half
Garnish: shredded cheddar cheese, bacon pieces
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT LEEK AND POTATO SOUP:
Cut into about 1-inch slices.
I just love that onion-y smell as I’m dicing them up.
Cook for an additional 30 minutes. Now, at this point, give it a taste. I always find I need to add a bit more salt, but I’ll leave that up to your taste buds.
Serve and top with shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon.
Originally published: December 2012
Updated & republished: September 2020
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
CROCK POT CHEDDAR BACON RANCH POTATO SOUP
CROCK POT LOADED POTATO SOUP
THE BEST STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
CHICKEN LEEK CASSEROLE
HOMEMADE MINESTRONE SOUP
THE BEST CHEESEBURGER SOUP
BACON CHEDDAR POTATOES
CROCK POT LEEK AND POTATO SOUP
- 6 slices uncooked bacon chopped
- 2 leeks chopped (just use the light green & white parts)
- 1 32 oz container chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups water
- 5 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ tsp dried dill weed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups half & half
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Garnish: shredded cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add chopped bacon. Allow some of the fat to render from the bacon and let it brown slightly.
- Stir in chopped leeks. Cook until leeks are soft and bacon is crisp. Drain any excess grease.
- Transfer bacon and leeks to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Stir in chicken broth, water, potatoes, carrots, celery and seasonings.
- Give it all a good stir, then cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, in a medium bowl, whisk together half & half with flour.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve topped with shredded cheddar cheese and bacon pieces.