Crock Pot Leek and Potato Soup
I’ll admit I’m not a fan of cold weather. It gets dark far too early for my comfort in the winter and I’m a terrible driver when it snows. Although my husband will tell you I’m not the best driver even when the weather is fine. But I digress…one upside to the cooler temperatures is it makes for a great time to eat and make soup. Something about the cooler weather just makes me crave good ole comfort food like soup like this Crock Pot Leek and Potato Soup.
When I’m out doing my Christmas shopping at the mall, I usually look forward to swinging by Panera Bread to grab a bowl of soup and a sandwich. Have y’all tried their Broccoli Cheddar Soup before? Creamy and cheesy and full of comfort. It is one of my favorites. And they always give you that nice hunk of bread with it too. My sweet friend Amanda likes the Creamy Tomato Soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. She really likes the cheesy croutons they put in there. She’s just a big kid at heart really. My son’s favorite is no surprise – Chicken Noodle Soup. That one is low-fat for all of you watching your diet. So, I decided to come up with a recipe for a soup that uses leeks. Panera’s Sonoma Chicken Stew uses leeks as an ingredient and it really adds some phenomenal flavor to the soup party. Have you ever seen a leek? Have you cooked with a leek? Do you know what one is?
6 slices uncooked bacon, chopped
2 leeks, chopped (just use the light green & white parts)
1 (32 oz.) container chicken broth or stock
2 cups water
5 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
½ tsp. dried dill weed
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt & pepper, to taste
2 cups half & half
½ cup all-purpose flour
Garnish: shredded cheddar cheese, bacon pieces
Cut into about 1-inch slices.
Cook for an additional 30 minutes. Now, at this point, give it a taste. I always find I need to add a bit more salt, but I’ll leave that up to your taste buds.
Serve and top with shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon.Cook’s Notes: If you can’t find leeks, you can substitute for one medium onion.
Crock Pot Leek and Potato SoupPrint Pin Rate
- 6 slices uncooked bacon chopped
- 2 leeks chopped (just use the light green & white parts)
- 1 32 oz container chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups water
- 5 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ tsp dried dill weed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups half & half
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Garnish: shredded cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add chopped bacon.
- Allow some of the fat to render from the bacon and let it brown slightly.
- Then add in chopped leeks.
- Cook until leeks are soft and bacon is crisp.
- Drain any excess grease.
- Transfer bacon and leeks to your slow cooker.
- Stir in chicken broth, water, potatoes, carrots, celery and seasonings.
- Give it all a good stir, then cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, in a medium bowl, whisk together half & half with flour.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes.