INSTANT POT CUBED STEAK AND GRAVY
So, I thought I would start converting some of my crock pot (slow cooker) recipes to Instant Pot recipes. In my mind, I thought it would be so easy! Yeah, that’s what I get for thinking! Ha! Turns out, not as easy as I thought. I started converting my CROCK POT CUBED STEAK AND GRAVY recipe to an Instant Pot Cubed Steak and Gravy and learned there is something called a “burn” notice that will pop up if there is not enough liquid in the Instant Pot for it to come up to pressure. So, I Googled it and it’s actually a safety feature, so I guess that is a good thing, right?
INSTANT POT SAFETY FEATURES
What is happening is the bottom of the pot is sensing that whatever you put in there is burning before the pot can come up to pressure. So you have to turn off the Instant Pot, turn the release valve to “venting”, let it fully vent, then open the Instant Pot, scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spatula. Then you have to add a bit more liquid and try it all over again. After three tries, I got the liquid amount right for this and it finally came to pressure and cooked properly. Yay! So, if you are intimidated by your Instant Pot, like me. We will learn it together! We can do this! 🙂
What you’ll need:
French onion soup
cream of chicken soup
Au Jus Gravy mix
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE INSTANT POT CUBED STEAK:
Pour 1 1/4 cups water, French onion soup, cream of chicken soup and packet of au just gravy mix into bottom of the Instant Pot insert. Whisk together well.
Place cubed steaks into pot making sure to coat the pieces in the gravy.
After cooking, carefully turn valve to “Venting” (this is called a “Quick Release”). Be VERY careful of the steam that will quickly come out. Allow all of the steam to fully release before unlocking lid. Turn the Instant Pot to the sauté setting. Remove the cubed steaks. In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together 1/4 cup water and cornstarch (this is called a “slurry”).
Instant Pot Cubed Steak and Gravy
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 can French onion soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 packet Au Jus Gravy mix
- 4 cubed steaks (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- Pour 1 1/4 cups water, French onion soup, cream of chicken soup and packet of au just gravy mix. Whisk together well.
- Place cubed steak into pot making sure to coat the pieces in the gravy.
- Close lid, turn valve to "Sealing." Cook on Manual High pressure for 20 minutes. Note: It will take anywhere from 5-10 minutes to come up to pressure before cooking.
- After cooking, carefully turn valve to "Venting" (this is called a "Quick Release"). Be VERY careful of the steam that will quickly come out. Allow all of the steam to fully release before unlocking lid.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the sauté setting. Remove the cubed steaks. In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together 1/4 cup water with cornstarch (this is called a "slurry").
- Pour this slurry mixture into the gravy that is already in the Instant Pot. Whisk well to combine. Continue to whisk until gravy starts to thicken. Place cubed steaks back into the pot to warm them back up. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Serve cubed steak with gravy over mashed potatoes.
WANT MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES? TRY THESE!
INSTANT POT MEATLOAF & POTATOES
INSTANT POT SPINACH ARTICHOKE CHICKEN
PERFECT INSTANT POT POT ROAST
INSTANT POT STUFFED PEPPERS
INSTANT POT GARLIC MASHED POTATOES