German Chocolate Cheesecake Cake
for the cake:
1 package German chocolate cake mix
(plus ingredients needed per package directions, usually eggs, oil & water)
cream cheese filling:
2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter, cubed (not margarine)
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups sweetened flaked or shredded coconut
1-1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package German Chocolate Cake Mix
- ingredients needed per package directions eggs, oil & water
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese softened
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter cubed
- 3 egg yolks lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups sweetened flaked or shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined.
- Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Gently pour cream cheese mixture over batter. Gently spoon remaining cake batter over top; spread to edge of pan.
- Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 1 hour.
- For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened and a thermometer reads 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in vanilla; fold in coconut and pecans.
- Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
- Frost cooled cake.