Is it a cake or a pie?
Pumpkin pie cake is a great combo. of both pie AND cake! I adapted this recipe from my Pumpkin Pie Dump Cake. Instead of sprinkling the cake mix on top and pouring on the butter, I wondered what would happen if I just mixed it all together. And boy, was it one of the best fall desserts I have tasted in a LONG time!
I made it super easy by using canned Pumpkin Pie Mix and it only has 5 ingredients but I swear it tastes homemade! It is not super sweet at all and it really tastes exactly like a cake and a pie did a little hanky panky and out came the yummiest creation!
Pumpkin Pie Cake
If you have a crowd over at Thanksgiving, this might be the perfect dessert to serve. It will easily make 12 servings and you can make it the night before! You can still have your Pumpkin Pie for all the die-hards but this just might be the new family tradition!
Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Lightly spray the bottom only of a 9×13″ baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a stand mixer, (or large mixing bowl) mix together pumpkin pie mix and eggs.
Then mix in cake mix and melted butter. Mix slowly at first so the cake mix doesn’t fly everywhere – been there, done that 😉 Mix this together for at least 2 minutes to make sure the batter is fully incorporated.
Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
Bake for about 45-55 minutes (center of the cake shouldn’t be jiggly.)
Allow cake to cool completely then spread the frosting on top.
- 1 30 oz can pumpkin pie mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) melted
- 1 container white or vanilla frosting
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees.
- Lightly spray the bottom only of a 9x13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a stand mixer, (or large mixing bowl) mix together pumpkin pie mix and eggs.
- Then mix in cake mix and melted butter. Mix for a full 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for about 45-55 minutes (center of the cake shouldn't be jiggly.)
- Allow cake to cool completely then spread the frosting on top.
- Cut into 12 squares and serve!