Why is it magic? Well, because you actually pour the cake batter in first and the pumpkin pie filling in second – but after it bakes – the pumpkin layer ends up on bottom and the cake layer on top. So obviously, no magic happpening here, it’s just because the pumpkin layer weighs more than the cake layer so it sinks to the bottom of the baking dish. But baking it this way allows everything to cook evenly without any layer being under-done or overcooked. Do yourself a flavor – make this!
1 box vanilla cake mix (plus ingredients needed to make cake: eggs, oil, water)*
1 (30 oz.) can pumpkin pie mix*
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
2 Eggland’s Best eggs
1 (3.5 oz.) box instant vanilla pudding
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, divided use
1 cup cold milk
1 (8 oz.) tub whipped topping (COOL WHIP), thawed
I just wipe out the same bowl I used for the cake batter and use that to mix the pumpkin pie filling. No need to make a bunch of dirty dishes!
Combine package of instant pudding with teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
Pumpkin Layer Cake (a.k.a. Magic Pumpkin Cake)
- 1 box vanilla cake mix (plus ingredients needed to make cake: eggs, oil, water)
- 1 30 oz can Pumpkin Pie Filling Mix
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 2 Eggland's Best eggs
- 1 3.5 oz box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice divided use
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 8 oz tub whipped topping thawed (COOL WHIP)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9 x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions (using eggs, oil & water).
- Pour cake batter into prepared baking dish (don't bake yet!)
- Combine contents of can of pumpkin pie mix with eggs and evaporated milk and one teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
- Stir well.
- Slowly pour the pumpkin pie mix right onto the cake batter (over the entire cake).
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes.
- The cake will look a little darker than what you're used to and that’s normal. (fear not - there will be layers under there!)
- Allow cake to cool completely - at least a couple of hours.
- Once cake is cooled, begin making topping.
- Combine package of instant pudding with teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
- Then pour in cold milk.
- Whisk mixture until pudding begins to thicken.
- Then gently fold whipped topping into the pudding.
- Spread topping onto cooled cake.
Optional: Sprinkle some mini cinnamon chips on top of finished cake. Keep refrigerated if not eating immediately.
You can serve it immediately but I would recommend popping it in the fridge for at least an hour.
Recipe Inspiration: I wash…you dry