Magic Pumpkin Layer Cake is vanilla cake on the bottom with pumpkin pie filling layered on top and finished with cinnamon whipped topping.
MAGIC PUMPKIN LAYER CAKE
WHY IS IT CALLED MAGIC PUMPKIN CAKE?
Well, because you actually pour the cake batter in first and the pumpkin pie filling in second - but after it bakes - the pumpkin layer ends up on bottom and the cake layer on top. So obviously, no magic happpening here, it's just because the pumpkin layer weighs more than the cake layer so it sinks to the bottom of the baking dish. But baking it this way allows everything to cook evenly without any layer being under-done or overcooked.
vanilla cake mix (plus ingredients needed to make cake: eggs, oil, water)*
pumpkin pie mix*
instant vanilla pudding
pumpkin pie spice (or MAKE YOUR OWN)
whipped topping (COOL WHIP)
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN LAYER CAKE:
Originally published: August 2015
Updated & republished: November 2019
RECIPE INSPIRATION: I wash...you dry
MAGIC PUMPKIN LAYER CAKE
- 1 box vanilla cake mix (plus ingredients needed to make cake: eggs, oil, water)
- 1 (30 oz) can Pumpkin Pie Filling Mix
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 (3.5 oz) box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice divided use
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 (8 oz) tub whipped topping thawed (COOL WHIP)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9 x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions (using eggs, oil & water).
- Pour cake batter into prepared baking dish (don't bake yet!)
- Combine contents of can of pumpkin pie mix with eggs and evaporated milk and one teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
- Stir well.
- Slowly pour the pumpkin pie mix right onto the cake batter (over the entire cake).
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes.
- The cake will look a little darker than what you're used to and that’s normal. (fear not - there will be layers under there!)
- Allow cake to cool completely - at least a couple of hours.
- Once cake is cooled, begin making topping.
- Combine package of instant pudding with teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
- Then pour in cold milk.
- Whisk mixture until pudding begins to thicken.
- Then gently fold whipped topping into the pudding.
- Spread topping onto cooled cake.
CRAVING MORE? GIVE THESE RECIPES A TRY!
PUMPKIN PIE CAKE
PUMPKIN PULL-APART BREAD
PUMPKIN PIE DUMP CAKE
HOMEMADE PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
A COLLECTION OF THE BEST PUMPKIN RECIPES
BROWN SUGAR PUMPKIN PIE
PUMPKIN PIE COFFEE CAKE WITH STREUSEL TOPPING
PUMPKIN PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
EASY PUMPKIN PIE BARS
PUMPKIN BREAD WITH BROWN SUGAR GLAZE
PUMPKIN SPICE CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING