1/3 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. milk
Once that is combined, add in 1 cup of your smooshed strawberries.
You will want to gently stir those in by hand.
Note: If you have any leftover crushed strawberries, you could always add it to your frosting. Slather frosting onto cooled cake.
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 box vanilla cake mix white or yellow cake mix
- 1 3 oz box strawberry gelatin mix Jell-O
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pint fresh strawberries or 1 cup crushed fresh strawberries
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1/2 block cream cheese (4 oz) softened
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Give your strawberries a good rinse then gently dry them with a paper towel.
- Remove the stems and dice them up.
- Then stick them in a plastic Ziploc bag and start crushing them up using a rolling pin or other heavy object. This will probably take you a minute or two.
- In the bowl, combine cake mix with strawberry gelatin powder.
- Mix until combined.
- Then stir in your oil, eggs and water.
- Once that is combined, add in 1 cup of your smooshed strawberries.
- You will want to gently stir those in by hand.
- Then pour batter into baking dish.
- Bake for about 30-33 minutes.
- Oven times do vary so to make sure it is done, stick a toothpick in the center, if it comes out clean, it is good to go.
- Allow cake to cool completely before adding frosting.
- To make the frosting, mix together your softened butter and softened cream cheese.
- It's easiest if you have an electric mixer.
- Mix until smooth and creamy and lump-free.
- Then mix in powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk.
- Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Slather frosting onto cooled cake.
- Slice and serve.
If there are any leftovers, you'll want to cover it and put into the fridge.