Strawberry Shortcake Cake is a vanilla cake, topped with a sweet creamy frosting and finished off with a delicious fresh strawberry glaze!
AN EASY STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE INSPIRED CAKE
Strawberry season is here! Who else gets excited to go strawberry picking?! This recipe for Strawberry Shortcake Cake is one of my most-requested recipe from family and friends. It’s a super fun take on the Southern Strawberry Shortcake recipe.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
No. You can use a yellow or French vanilla cake mix for this or even a Funfetti or Rainbow Chip cake mix! Chocolate might be a wonderful contrast of flavors too!
You can usually find strawberry glaze in the fruit section of your grocery store. Most grocers keep it right next to the strawberries. You can also make your own strawberry pie glaze if you have a favorite recipe for it.
Of course! This recipe is customizable to your tastes and preferences. One of my favorite white cake recipes is here.
This cake does need to be kept refrigerated. Cover tightly and it should keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. This cake can be frozen but I only recommend freezing without the strawberry topping on.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- white (or yellow) cake mix
- egg whites, oil and water
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
- whipped topping (COOL WHIP)
- strawberry glaze
- fresh strawberries
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE CAKE:
Make cake according to package directions for a 9×13-inch baking dish.
Allow the cake to cool. Then make the next layer. In a mixing bowl, combine softened cream cheese with powdered sugar until smooth. Sir in thawed whipped topping. Mix until combined.
Smooth over cooled cake.
In a bowl combine the strawberry glaze with the strawberries.
Spread this mixture on top of the cake.
Isn’t this just a pretty and bright cake? And it tastes so good too! Slice and serve. This cake needs to be kept refrigerated.
CRAVING MORE STRAWBERRY RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
Strawberry Shortcake Cake (+Video)
- 15.25 ounce box white cake mix
- additional ingredients to make cake; eggs, oil and water
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounce container whipped topping (COOL WHIP), thawed
- 13.5 ounce container premade strawberry glaze
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and cut into bite size pieces
- Prepare white cake according to package directions for a 9" x 13" baking dish. Allow the cake to cool.
- Then make the next layer. In a mixing bowl, combine softened cream cheese with powdered sugar until smooth.
- Stir in thawed whipped topping and combine well.
- Smooth over the cooled cake.
- In a bowl combine the strawberry glaze with the sliced strawberries.
- Spread this mixture on top of the cake.
- Slice and serve.
- This cake needs to be kept refrigerated.
- You can usually find the strawberry glaze in the fruit section of your grocery store. Most grocers keep it right next to the strawberries. You can also make your own strawberry pie glaze if you have a favorite recipe for it.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: March 2012
Updated & republished: May 2022