Fresh Strawberry Bread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees and place the oven rack in the middle position.
Spray the bottom and sides of an 8-cup loaf pan (9 x 5 x 3 inch) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until softened.
- Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add in the vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture (in three additions) and sour cream (in two additions) alternately, starting and ending with the flour.
- Mix only until combined.
- Gently fold in the chopped strawberries and walnuts.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake about 1 hour, or until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool and then remove the bread from the pan.
Serve warm or at room temperature. This bread can be frozen.