A fun twist on a classic, this Strawberry Shortcake in a Jar is an easy, layered, single serving dessert that is perfect for gatherings and get parties!
A TWIST ON STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
When I have an overabundance of strawberries, I am always looking for new or fun ways to use them. This Strawberry Shortcake in a Jar recipe was something one of my co-workers used to make and bring to our work potlucks. This comes together in no time and is perfect for a single serving dessert (when you want something sweet but nothing too heavy!) They really are perfect for gatherings and they are so pretty! Just layer everything together, set out some spoons and let people grab and go. Or you can set out all the ingredients in bowls and let everyone build their own!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
No, while I enjoy angel food cake for this, as it keeps it a light, refreshing summer dessert, you can also use pound cake.
Absolutely! If you do not want to use a container of whipped topping feel free to make your own for this recipe. Whipped topping is more stabilized than homemade whipped cream so you would not be able to make these the night before with the homemade whipped cream or the cream will basically melt into the dessert and won't hold its shape.
For this recipe I used 8 ounce jars, they make the perfect size to get the layers that we want.
Absolutely! You can certainly make your own homemade angel food cake or pound cake.
Yes, you could make this the evening before serving.
This is best eaten within 24 hours after it is made.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- granulated sugar
- whipped topping (Cool Whip)
- angel food cake or pound cake
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE IN A JAR:
Remove stems from strawberries and slice into small pieces.
Place in a large mixing bowl, add sugar. Stir and let sit for 15 minutes.
Slice cake and cut into small bite-sized pieces, set aside.
Grab the mason jars and put a dollop of whipped cream at the bottom of each jar.
Add a few cake pieces to each mason jar.
Top with a spoonful or two of strawberry topping.
Repeat with a layer of whipped cream, more cake and top again with strawberry topping.
Finally, top off each jar with more whipped topping
Top with additional strawberries, if desired.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
Strawberry Shortcake in a Jar
- 1 pound strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 ounce tub whipped topping (Cool Whip)
- 12 ounces angel food cake (or pound cake)
- 8 (8 ounce) mason jars
- Remove stems from strawberries and slice into small pieces.
- Place in a large mixing bowl, add sugar. Stir and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Slice cake and cut into small bite-sized pieces, set aside.
- Put a dollop of whipped topping in the bottom of each mason jar.
- Add a few cake pieces to each mason jar.
- Top with a spoonful or two of strawberry topping.
- Repeat with another layer of whipped topping, more cake and top again with strawberry topping.
- Finally, top off each jar with more whipped topping and additional strawberries, if desired.
- I used 8 ounce mason jars. They are the perfect size for serving.
- You can use angel food cake or pound cake.
- Make your own homemade whipped cream or angel food cake if you like.
- These can be made ahead, see my tips above.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.