This recipe for Southern Strawberry Shortcakes is a classic homemade sweet shortcake topped with sweetened strawberries and whipped cream.
A DELICIOUSLY SWEET CAKE WITH STRAWBERRIES
Gosh, is there anything prettier than strawberry shortcakes? To me, it is the perfect spring and summer dessert when strawberries are fresh and in-season. It's a light dessert too. You can easily eat it after your grilled hamburger or hot dogs and not feel like a stuffed pig but you'll still be totally satisfied!
WHAT IS A SHORTCAKE?
- Homemade shortcakes are meant to be lightly sweetened and just a tad crumbly. Not dry but more like a scone. They should be just a bit crumbly to add texture to each bite. The crumbly shortcake plus the softened and sweetened strawberries and whipped cream combine to create the perfect bite!
- You don't need any special tools for this. I use my hands and a fork. It's easier to cut the butter into the flour with my fingers and a fork will do the rest of the job. With shortcakes, it's not about looking perfectly round and smooth. These are basically just sweetened drop biscuits so no need for perfection!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- all-purpose flour (I prefer White Lily brand)
- baking powder
- baking soda
- lemon zest
- salted butter
- coarse sugar (or white sugar)
- fresh strawberries
- lemon juice
- whipped cream
HOW TO MAKE EASY HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKES:
Combine sliced strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl. Stir and cover.
Place in the fridge for an hour or more to release juices. Preheat oven to 425F degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl (or food processor).
Add cold butter and cut in with a fork or pulse a few times with a food processor...
Or you can cut in by hand using a pastry cutter or even your hands. You want to have coarse crumbs.
Stir in buttermilk until you have a thick, sticky batter.
Drop dough onto the baking sheet (this makes 6 shortcakes.)
Sprinkle dough with sugar. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Slice open biscuits and serve with layers of strawberries, their juice and whipped cream.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
Easy Homemade Strawberry Shortcakes
For the shortcakes:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, I prefer White Lily brand
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ stick (4 Tablespoons) cold salted butter
- coarse sugar or white sugar
For the filling:
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, tops removed and sliced
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- whipped cream
- Combine sliced strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl. Stir and cover.
- Place in the refrigerator for an hour or more to release juices.
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl (or food processor).
- Add cold butter and cut in with a fork or pulse a few times with a food processor (or cut in by hand using a pastry cutter) until you have coarse crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk until you have a thick, sticky batter.
- Drop dough onto the baking sheet (this makes 6 shortcakes).
- Sprinkle dough with coarse sugar. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Slice open biscuits and serve with layers of strawberries, their juice and whipped cream.
- Just watch out that they don't get too brown. They don't need to get that dark. They should just start to get a very light golden color but not brown. It will still taste good but I think they're prettier when they aren't as brown.