Looking for a delicious and easy dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth? Look no further than Dr Pepper Cake, made with a jazzed up cake mix and a delectable homemade frosting!
A DELICIOUS AND MOIST CAKE
This unique cake is made with – you guessed it – Dr Pepper – and it’s sure to be a hit! This delectable cake is made using a boxed cake mix, Dr Pepper soda, and a few additional ingredients to create a moist and flavorful base. But what really sets this cake apart is the homemade frosting, which adds a rich and creamy complement to the Dr Pepper flavor. So whether you’re a baking beginner or an experienced pro, read on for everything you need to know about making the best cake that will have everyone asking, what IS that incredible flavor?!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
While I haven’t specifically tested this recipe in a bundt, I’ve had readers make my Coca-Cola Cake into a bundt cake and reported that it was done with great success. Since this is a very similar recipe, I would *think* that it would also work. You may need to adjust the baking time though, so keep an eye on it as it bakes.
Again, I haven’t turned the Dr Pepper Cake into cupcakes but I did make some Coca-Cola Cupcakes that were superb. I imagine you could do the same with this recipe.
I used chopped pecans but you can also use chopped walnuts. Or just ditch the nuts altogether. You can leave the cake as is or add some chocolate sprinkles. Everything is better with sprinkles, right?
You bet. If using milk in place of the heavy cream, you’re going to need only 3-4 Tablespoons of the milk since it’s thinner than the cream. Start with less, use your judgement, and add more if needed to get it to the right consistency. If it winds up too runny, just add some more powdered sugar.
Leftover Dr Pepper Cake should be stored in an airtight container and kept at room temperature for 3-5 days. Keeping it in the fridge would cause it to dry out faster. You can freeze this cake for up to 3 months.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- chocolate fudge cake mix
- instant chocolate pudding
- large eggs
- Dr Pepper
- salted butter
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- heavy cream or milk
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
- chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
HOW TO MAKE A DR PEPPER CAKE:
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 9×13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, stir together cake mix, dry pudding mix, eggs, oil and Dr. Pepper for about 2 minutes on medium speed.
Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake according to package directions (usually 35-40 minutes). Note: The cake will have a slight dip in the center. This is normal. When it is done, a toothpick will come out clean.
In a medium saucepan, over medium-low heat, start melting butter. Add in cocoa powder and heavy cream (or milk, if using) and stir.
Then whisk in confectioners sugar. Stir briskly with a whisk to get all the lumps out.
Take mixture off heat and stir in vanilla extract.
Pour frosting over cake and evenly spread it out over cake.
Sprinkle chopped nuts on top, if using.
I think this cake is best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Dr Pepper Cake
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, stir together 15 ounce box chocolate fudge cake mix, 4 ounce small box instant chocolate pudding, 3 large eggs, ⅓ cup oil and 1 cup Dr Pepper soda for about 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake according to package directions (usually 35-40 minutes). Note: The cake will have a slight dip in the center. This is normal. When it is done, a toothpick will come out clean.
For the frosting:
- In a medium saucepan, over medium-low heat, start melting 1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter.
- Add in3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and 4-6 tablespoons heavy cream and stir (note: start with 4 Tablespoons – you can always add more to reach your desired thickness after you add in the powdered sugar.)
- Then whisk in 2 cups powdered sugar. Stir briskly with a whisk to get all the lumps out.
- Take mixture off heat and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Pour frosting over cake and evenly spread it out.
- Sprinkle ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts evenly on top, if using. I think this cake is best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.