Whenever I make any type of bundt cake, I always think of the movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I just love that movie. “What do you mean he don’t eat meat?” “Oh, that’s okay, I make lamb.” There is a scene where Ian’s Mom brings Toula’s family a bundt cake. Toula’s family has never heard of a bundt cake before. “There’s a hole in this cake.” For the life of her, Toula’s Mom cannot figure out how to say it properly. “Boont? Bonk?” She finally decides just to put flowers in the middle where the hole is and leave it at that. So needless to say, ever since I’ve seen that movie, I can’t help but giggle when I pull out the bundt pan.
Recently I shared my recipe for Coca Cola Cake and then I realized, I couldn’t share the Coca Cola Cake without also sharing the 7-Up Cake.
The 7-Up Cake is similar to the Coke Cake in that you don’t really taste the soda as a separate ingredient. It adds flavor and makes it super moist. You could eat this bundt cake without any icing, it is just so incredibly flavorful and moist but I think the slightly tart icing gives the sweet cake a nice pop of flavor.
I just love making desserts like this during these cold days of winter. This 7-Up cake is so sunshine-y and the flavors remind you of a tall glass of cold lemonade.
1 box yellow cake mix
1 box (4 oz.) instant lemon pudding
3/4 cups 7 Up (or similar lemon lime soda)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
The bottled lemon juice will work just fine for this recipe too.
Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Spray your 10-inch bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. I like to use the spray that has flour in it, it’s called Baker’s Joy and it works the best for Bundt cakes.
In a medium bowl, combine all the cake ingredients. Mix until thoroughly combined. Pour batter into bundt pan.
Bake for about 45-55 minutes (until inserted toothpick or fork comes out clean.)
Allow to cool completely, then remove from bundt pan.
Start preparing icing.
If you’re using a fresh lemon, you might like to zest a bit of the lemon for more flavor. That step is totally optional.
In a small bowl, combine sugar and lemon juice. Add milk in slowly until you’ve reached desired consistency. You may want your icing a bit thicker or more like a glaze. That part is completely up to you.
This icing is nice and tangy and brings a nice balance of flavor alongside the sweet cake.
Pour icing over cake. And serve. That is sunshine on a plate right there!
1 hr 5 mins
Calories: 465 kcal
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 4 oz small box instant lemon pudding
- 3/4 cups 7Up or similar lemon lime soda
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
Spray 10-inch bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the cake ingredients (cake mix, pudding, 7up, eggs and oil).
- Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour batter into bundt pan.
- Bake for about 45-55 minutes (until inserted toothpick or fork comes out clean).
- Allow to cool completely, then remove from bundt pan.
- Start preparing icing.
- If you're using a fresh lemon, you might like to zest a bit of the lemon for more flavor. (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and lemon juice.
- Add milk in slowly until you've reached desired consistency.
- Pour icing over cake and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 465 Calories from Fat 171
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19g 29%
Saturated Fat 14g 70%
Cholesterol 65mg 22%
Sodium 394mg 16%
Potassium 44mg 1%
Total Carbohydrates 71g 24%
Protein 3g 6%
Vitamin A 1.9%
Vitamin C 0.7%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.