This easy recipe for Better Than Sex Cake is a tasty chocolate and caramel cake topped with Cool Whip and Heath candy bar bits!
A CHOCOLATE CARAMEL POKE CAKE
If you have never tried Better Than Sex cake, you are definitely missing out on one of the most moist and delicious cakes ever. If any little ones are within earshot, you can certainly call it “Better than Anything Cake” if you want to avoid any conversations you aren’t ready for yet – ha! A boxed chocolate cake mix is poked and filled with sweetened condensed milk, topped with dulce de leche caramelized milk, chocolate syrup, Cool Whip and then topped off Heath candy bar bits. If you’re looking for pure chocolate indulgence, look no further than this Better Than Sex Cake recipe.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
You can use any of your favorite chocolate cake flavors for this recipe: milk, dark, double chocolate, devil’s food cake, chocolate fudge, german chocolate etc. I personally like to use Duncan Hines’ Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix.
You can find it canned or in a squeeze bottle down the Hispanic food aisle at your grocery store.
You can! I actually first learned how to make dulce de leche when a neighbor was teaching me how to make Banoffee Pie! You’ll need another can of sweetened condensed milk (besides the one we are already using in the recipe).
1. First, remove the label from the sweetened condensed milk can.
2. Place the can into a large pot.
3. Fill with enough water to cover the top of the can with about 1 inch of water. Place over medium-high heat to boil for 4 hours. Don’t worry – the can will not explode!
4. Be sure to check that the water is covering the can the whole time. I check the water level about every 15-20 minutes and add hot water each time the water level begins to get lower.
5. Once it is done boiling, remove the can from the hot water and let cool to room temperature. It’s like magic. You open it up and boom you’ve got caramelized sweetened condense milk also known as dulce de leche.
I prefer it chilled as everything soaks into the cake the longer that it sits; however you can serve this right away if you’d like.
Absolutely! If you don’t like using the store-bought brands, you can use your own favorite recipe for whipped cream. Just make sure that you have enough to cover the cake itself.
If you are not a fan of Heath bits you can omit them and substitute them with another chocolate candy like Butterfingers.
You can find bags of chopped candy bar toppings in the baking aisle near the chocolate chips. Or, if you’d like, you can chop it up yourself. Just add 2 candy bars into a zip top bag and pound it with a rolling pin.
This can be stored covered in the pan with plastic wrap where it will keep for up to 5 days. I don’t recommend freezing this cake.
BETTER THAN SEX CAKE INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- chocolate cake mix (including ingredients on back)
- sweetened condensed milk
- dulce de leche
- chocolate syrup
- Cool Whip whipped topping
- Heath candy bar bits
HOW TO MAKE BETTER THAN SEX CAKE:
Bake the cake according to package directions.
To assemble this cake, poke the chocolate cake with a chopstick or straw to create holes.
Pour all of the sweetened condensed milk over the entire surface and allow it to soak in for a couple of minutes.
Next, add the dulce de leche to a microwave safe measuring cup and warm it up in the microwave just until smooth and spreadable. Drizzle HALF of the dulce de leche and spread out to cover the sweetened condensed milk layer as best as possible.
Drizzle 1/2 cup chocolate syrup over the dulce de leche layer.
Spoon the Cool Whip over the top and evenly spread it out (gently). Next, sprinkle Heath bits evenly over the surface of the Cool Whip.
Drizzle the remaining half of the dulce de leche over the Cool Whip and Heath bits.
Lastly, drizzle with 1/4 cup chocolate syrup.
At this point, I like to chill it for about 3 hours or so then slice and serve. I think ti really helps the flavors to come together and everything to “firm up”. However, it can be served right away. It’ll just be a little messier as you slice it up.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES?
- One Bowl Chocolate Cake
- Oreo Better than Sex Cake
- Chocolate Poke Cake
- Bailey’s Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- Crock Pot Chocolate Spoon Cake
- Oreo Pudding Poke Cake
- Oreo Dump Cake
- Grandma’s Texas Sheet Cake
Better than Sex Cake
- 15.25 oz chocolate cake mix (including ingredients on back)
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 13.4 ounce can dulce de leche, divided use
- ¾ cup chocolate syrup, divided use
- 2 cups Cool Whip whipped topping
- ½ cup Heath candy bar bts
- Bake the cake according to package directions (for a 9"x13" cake)
- To assemble this cake, poke the baked chocolate cake with a chopstick or straw to create holes.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk over the entire surface and allow it to soak in for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add the dulce de leche to a microwave safe measuring cup and microwave it just until it is smooth and spreadable. Drizzle HALF of the dulce de leche and spread out to cover.
- Drizzle ½ cup chocolate syrup over the dulce de leche layer. Drizzle in a criss-cross pattern.
- Spoon the Cool Whip over the top and gently smooth it out.
- Then, sprinkle Heath candy bar bits evenly over the surface of the Cool Whip.
- Drizzle the remaining half of the dulce de leche over the Cool Whip and Heath bar bits. Note: if necessary, you may need to warm it up slightly to get it to drizzle again.
- Finally, drizzle with the remaining ¼ cup chocolate syrup (again, I just do this in a criss-cross pattern).
- This cake is best after it has chilled in the refrigerator for several hours. However, it can be served right away. It will just be a little messier to slice and serve.
- This cake gets better the longer it sits.
- You can make your own dulce de leche, see my tips above.
- If you do not like Heath bits, you can sub them with other chocolate candy pieces.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.