For the cake:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
2 tbsp. milk
2 cups (loosely packed) powdered sugar
- For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp brewed coffee black
- For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar loosely packed
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 9 square pan with nonstick baking spray.
In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking cocoa and baking soda)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together water, mayonnaise, vanilla extract and coffee.
- You just want to use plain, brewed coffee - no additional milk or sugar added.
- Slowly add the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Stir just until combined.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes (until a toothpick inserted comes out clean).
- Once the cake is finished, start preparing the frosting.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine brown sugar and butter and cook until bubbly. Be sure to whisk constantly so it doesn't burn.
- Take off the heat and stir in the milk.
- Then gradually add in powdered sugar.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Frost the cake!
The cake doesn't have to be cooled completely to top with this frosting. Work quickly. The frosting hardens fast as it cools.