This Homemade Dark Chocolate Cake with Gingerbread Frosting is so moist and deliciously decadent! The perfect holiday dessert!
HOMEMADE DARK CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH GINGERBREAD FROSTING
This dark chocolate cake is for all those dark chocolate lovers! This cake is made way better by the addition of coffee. Adding brewed coffee to chocolate cake takes it to a whole new level. You don't taste the coffee in it but the coffee somehow manages to make the chocolate taste more chocolate-y. Trust me on this one - it works!
VIDEO INCLUDED BELOW:
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS DARK CHOCOLATE CAKE:
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
For the cake:
dark chocolate baking cocoa
For the frosting:
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE DARK CHOCOLATE CAKE:
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
FROSTED GINGERBREAD DOUGHNUTS
COPYCAT STARBUCKS GINGERBREAD LOAF
HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CAKE
CHOCOLATE MAYONNAISE CAKE WITH BROWN SUGAR FROSTING
CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN SNACK CAKE
CROCK POT CHOCOLATE SPOON CAKE
CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRY CAKE
ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE POKE CAKE
EASY ONE BOWL HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CAKE
THE BEST CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BROWNIES
DARK CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH GINGERBREAD FROSTING
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup dark chocolate baking cocoa
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup brewed coffee, cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temp.
- 1 (7.5 oz) jar marshmallow fluff
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- The first thing I do is brew my coffee so it has time to cool before I need it. It's important to cool the coffee so it doesn't cook the eggs when we combine the two.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.) Gently whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine all the wet ingredients (eggs, oil, milk, cooled coffee & vanilla extract.)
- Then slowly add in dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Add a little at a time, mix, then add a little more until it is all incorporated.
- Once combined, pour cake batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. The cake should also spring back to the touch and not jiggle in the center.
- Allow cake to cool completely, then start on frosting.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer or your stand mixer, mix butter until smooth.
- Then mix in marshmallow fluff.
- Next, stir in molasses.
- Finally, mix in powdered sugar and spices.
- Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Spread onto cooled cake. Slice and serve. Keep cake refrigerated!
Originally published: December 2015
Updated & republished: November 2020