Mama's Sweet Potato Cake with Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting is a cake that starts off with a muffin mix and topped with salted caramel.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Martha White. This trip was sponsored by J. M. Smuckers. All opinions and text are my own.
Mama's Sweet Potato Cake with Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS MUFFIN MIX CAKE:
- Once cake is cooled, you may invert cake onto a large plate and then frost if serving immediately. This makes it a bit easier to slice and serve the cake.
- For a thinner cake, use a 9x13 pan and adjust baking time accordingly.
- Also, if you can't find the Sweet Potato Muffin Mix, you can also use the Pumpkin Muffin Mix, Apple Cinnamon Muffin Mix or Apple Cider Muffin Mix.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
for the cake:
2 packets Martha White Sweet Potato Muffin Mix
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
½ cup chopped pecans
for the frosting:
1 cup butter (salted or unsalted), softened to room temp.
1 (7.5 oz.) jar marshmallow creme (Marshmallow Fluff)
1 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup chopped pecans, for topping
⅓ cup Smucker's Salted Caramel Topping
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH MARSHMALLOW FROSTING:
Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a medium bowl on high speed until creamy.
Reduce mixing speed to low and beat in confectioners sugar and vanilla.
Increase mixing speed to high and beat until fluffy. Spread frosting onto cooled cake.
Sprinkle top with chopped pecans.
Then, using a spoon, drizzle salted caramel over the finished cake.
EASY CARAMEL APPLE CAKE
GERMAN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
SALTED CARAMEL CHEESECAKE FAT BOMBS
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH MARSHMALLOW FROSTING
For the cake:
- 2 packets Martha White Sweet Potato Muffin Mix
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup chopped pecans
For the frosting:
- 1 cup butter softened to room temp., salted or unsalted
- 1 7.5 oz jar marshmallow creme (Marshmallow Fluff)
- 1 cup powdered sugar confectioners
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans for topping
- ⅓ cup Smucker’s Salted Caramel Topping
- For bars:
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine two packets sweet potato muffin mix with ground cinnamon and salt. Stir well.
- Then stir in milk and sour cream.
- Once combined, gently stir in chopped pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely before making frosting.
- For frosting:
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a medium bowl on high speed until creamy.
- Add in marshmallow creme and mix well.
- Reduce mixing speed to low and beat in confectioners sugar and vanilla.
- Increase mixing speed to high and beat until fluffy.
- Spread frosting onto cooled cake.
- Sprinkle top with chopped pecans.
- Then, using a spoon, drizzle salted caramel over the finished cake.