Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Martha White. This trip was sponsored by J. M. Smuckers. All opinions and text are my own.
Mama’s Sweet Potato Cake with Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
So that is the recipe I am going to share with you today. Stacey is much better at styling food than I am. I am happy to mix it all up and bake to my hearts’ content but he really has a knack for making it all look pretty. All in all, I’d say we were a pretty darn good team!
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
½ cup chopped pecans
1 cup butter (salted or unsalted), softened to room temp.
1 (7.5 oz.) jar marshmallow creme (Marshmallow Fluff)
1 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup chopped pecans, for topping
⅓ cup Smucker’s Salted Caramel Topping
Reduce mixing speed to low and beat in confectioners sugar and vanilla.
Increase mixing speed to high and beat until fluffy. Spread frosting onto cooled cake.
Then, using a spoon, drizzle salted caramel over the finished cake.
- for the bars:
- 2 packets Martha White Sweet Potato Muffin Mix
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- for the frosting:
- 1 cup butter softened to room temp., salted or unsalted
- 1 7.5 oz jar marshmallow creme (Marshmallow Fluff)
- 1 cup powdered sugar confectioners
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans for topping
- ⅓ cup Smucker’s Salted Caramel Topping
- For bars:
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine two packets sweet potato muffin mix with ground cinnamon and salt. Stir well.
- Then stir in milk and sour cream.
- Once combined, gently stir in chopped pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely before making frosting.
- For frosting:
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a medium bowl on high speed until creamy.
- Add in marshmallow creme and mix well.
- Reduce mixing speed to low and beat in confectioners sugar and vanilla.
- Increase mixing speed to high and beat until fluffy.
- Spread frosting onto cooled cake.
- Sprinkle top with chopped pecans.
- Then, using a spoon, drizzle salted caramel over the finished cake.
Once cake is cooled, you may invert cake onto a large plate and then frost. This makes it a bit easier to slice and serve the cake. For a thinner cake, use a 9 x 13 pan and adjust baking time accordingly.