This recipe for the Best Salted Caramel is foolproof. Use this salted caramel for fall inspired drinks like hot chocolate and desserts!
THE BEST SALTED CARAMEL RECIPE
Caramel is actually simpler to make than you might think. It really adds to the flavor of so many baked goods like CHOCOLATE CHIP CARAMEL BUTTER BARS or in drinks like SLOW COOKER HOT CHOCOLATE. You can also drizzle it over ice cream. So many uses! If you love those sweet and salty flavor combinations, you will absolutely fall in love with salted caramel!
TIPS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE CARAMEL:
- If not using all of the salted caramel right away, store it in a lidded container and put it in the refrigerator. It can be refrigerated for up to one month or frozen for up to 3 months.
- The next time you use it, take the caramel out of the refrigerator and just warm it up slightly in the microwave to thin it out if you need to drizzle it on your dessert.
- Dark brown sugar can be used for a richer molasses flavor.
- Heavy cream can be substituted for real buttermilk.
- Real butter must be used (no margarine or butter substitute)
- This recipe makes one cup of salted caramel.
HOW TO MAKE SALTED CARAMEL:
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
SALTED CARAMEL HOT CHOCOLATE
EASY CARAMEL APPLE CAKE
CROCK POT CARAMEL APPLE DIP
MAMA'S SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH MARSHMALLOW BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
THE BEST SALTED CARAMEL
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- ½-1 tsp flaked sea salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the heavy cream, sugar, brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt into a medium-sized sauce pot. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened and amber in color.
- Take off the heat and whisk in the vanilla.
- Mixture will be slightly thickened and will thicken more once cooled.
- Let cool slightly, serve as desired (makes one cup)