This Crock Pot 3-Packet Pot Roast with gravy is incredibly easy but incredibly tender and flavorful. Set it and forget it!
A TENDER POT ROAST RECIPE
Slow cooking can take a rather boring and tough cut of meat and make it come out so tender and tasty. And, in my case, I save on electricity because this roast isn't cooking in my oven for hours on end. So that's just a bonus right there.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
A beef chuck roast works perfect. It's an inexpensive cut of meat and the low and slow cooking process will make the meat so tender. But any type of beef roast will work. Just make sure you are getting a large enough size
Of course. Wherever you can find low sodium options, please do so.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- beef chuck roast
- ranch dressing mix
- brown gravy mix
- Italian dressing mix
- dried chopped onions
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT 3-PACKET POT ROAST:
I like to brown the roast before putting it in the crock pot. It really gives it a great color and adds to the overall flavor. Heat up a large skillet on high heat. You want to get it really hot. Add about a tbsp. of vegetable oil into the bottom of the pan. Take a paper towel and dry the meat really good. Season the roast with salt & pepper. When pan is really hot, add the roast. You aren't going to cook it all the way through. You're just browning both sides to give it some added flavor.
Once browned, put the roast into the bottom of your slow cooker.
Mix together 2 cups of water with all the seasoning packets and chopped onion. Give it all a good stir.
Pour gravy mixture over the roast.
Cook on low for about 6 to 7 hours. Around the last 2-3 hours of baking, you can add in some diced potatoes, carrots and celery if you want to add those. This next step is also optional (but I personally think is necessary) to make the gravy thicker. Whisk together cold water with cornstarch.
Pour corn starch mixture into the slow cooker and turn the slow cooker up to the high setting. Cook for an additional 30 minutes on high to thicken the gravy. Then serve!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Crock Pot 3-Packet Pot Roast (+Video)
- 3-4 pound beef chuck roast
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- 1 packet brown gravy mix
- 1 packet Italian dressing mix
- 1 tablespoon dried chopped onions (or half an onon, finely diced)
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat up a large skillet on high heat. You want to get it really hot.
- Add about a tablespoon of vegetable oil into the bottom of the pan.
- Take a paper towel and dry the meat really well Season the roast with salt and pepper.
- When pan is really hot, add the roast. You aren't going to cook it all the way through. You're just browning both sides to give it some added flavor and color.
- Once browned, put it into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Mix together 2 cups of water with all the seasoning packets and chopped onion. Give it all a good stir.
- Pour gravy mixture over the roast.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 to 7 hours. If you want to cook potatoes, carrots and celery with the roast, add them in about 2-3 hours before the roast is finished cooking.
- When roast is fully cooked, whisk together cold water with cornstarch.
- Pour corn starch mixture into the slow cooker and turn the slow cooker up to the high setting.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes on high to thicken the gravy.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: February 2012
Updated & republished: September 2020