Grilled Steak and Potato Packets (also called Hobo Packets) are stuffed full of meat and potatoes with tons of flavor and easy cleanup!
STEAK AND POTATO PACKETS
VIDEO INCLUDED BELOW:
CAN YOU USE OTHER MEATS FOR HOBO PACKETS?
Absolutely! Chicken would work great as well as lean ground beef or even lean pork. I say lean meat because you don't want the meat to produce too much grease while cooking.
HOW TO MAKE STEAK AND POTATO PACKETS:
Originally published: July 2011
Updated & Republished: May 2019
GRILLED STEAK AND POTATO PACKETS
- 2-3 pounds steaks, cubed (ribeye or flat iron steaks)
- olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced or sliced
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 tbsp salted butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- steak seasoning, optional
- Tear off 4 large square sheets of aluminum foil.
- Drizzle all 4 foil aluminum square pieces with olive oil.
- Put 1 tbsp .of butter on each foil sheet.
- Dice potatoes into cubes (about 1-inch). Leaving the skin on.
- Divide up the cubed potatoes and place on top of the butter on each aluminum foil square.
- Evenly sprinkle minced garlic and diced onion over each of the four servings.
- Then sprinkle with kosher salt & pepper.
- Drizzle with a bit more olive oil.
- Put steak pieces on top of potatoes.
- Season with a bit more salt & pepper or your favorite steak seasoning.
- Drizzle with a bit more olive oil and put another pat of butter on top.
- Also, another good tip to keep your meat from getting dried while cooking is to add a large ice cube on top of the meat.
- Fold up each of the sides to make a nice little bed for the potatoes, making a square.
- So none of the butter and oil can escape while cooking.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill packets for about 35-45 minutes.
- Check periodically for doneness.
WANT MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS? GIVE THESE A TRY!
THE BEST STEAK MARINADE WITH STEAKHOUSE GARLIC HERB BUTTER
CAMPFIRE HOT DOGS & POTATO PACKETS
CHICKEN & POTATO FOIL PACKS
CREAMY GARLIC POTATO PACKETS
BBQ PORK POTATO FOIL PACKETS