I first started making this recipe years ago after seeing it in my trusty big red Betty Crocker cookbook. The folks at Betty Crocker come out with a new big red cookbook every few years. They are great if you are new to cooking or looking for timeless recipes. I just changed out the types of cheese used. I prefer good ole cheddar for this. It melts well and tastes great. These are great for summer because you can easily make them on the grill. Throw some steaks on the grill too and you have an amazing meal and no heating up the house. But these are easily made in your oven too (see notes below for directions).
Place cubed potatoes on each of the 4 aluminum foil squares. Add 1 tbsp. butter to each pile of potatoes. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, to taste.
- 4 medium potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 2 green onions sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to medium heat (make sure grates are clean).
- You'll need 4 large squares of foil to make these packets.
- If you aren't using nonstick aluminum foil, you'll need to make sure you spray the foil really well with nonstick cooking spray to keep potatoes from sticking while cooking.
- Place cubed potatoes on each of the 4 aluminum foil squares.
- Add 1 tbsp. butter to each pile of potatoes.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Cover potatoes with about 1/2 cup shredded cheese and 1/4 cup bacon pieces.
- Wrap foil securely around potatoes.
- Pierce foil with a knife several times to vent steam while cooking.
- Place on preheated grill.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for about 45-60 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Once potatoes are finished, sprinkle with sliced green onions.