This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company. All opinions and text are my own.
Campfire Hot Dog and Potato Packets
I know I’m calling this recipe ‘Campfire Hot Dog and Potato Packets’ but this can totally be an oven meal or made on the grill (which is how I make it here.) This recipe is a twist on an old-fashioned meal often called ‘Hobo Packets‘ which are basically some sort of meat and veggies that are wrapped in aluminum foil and cooked over an open fire. I have several recipes here on my site and it’s a meal that is a lot of fun to play around with. This one is my son’s favorite version!
If you’ve followed me for a while, you know I’ve gone on and on about these special Creamer potatoes. They also come with a special back story. It all started with a father and a daughter who became super passionate about these potato varietals and wanted to share it with the world. Check out the video below to learn more!
Want more recipe ideas for these unique potatoes? Be sure to head over to The Little Potato Company website for 100’s of recipe ideas. Also, a lot of y’all ask me where you can purchase these. I am able to find them at Walmart and Sam’s Club. But you can go directly to the Little Potato website HERE and find exactly where they are available for purchase near you!
1.5 lbs. Baby Boomers by The Little Potato Company, sliced in half
1/2 cup finely diced onion (optional)
4 tbsp. butter or margarine, sliced into cubes
4 tsp. garlic salt, divided use
pepper, to taste
2 cups shredded milk cheddar cheese, divided use
4 hot dogs
1 cup barbecue sauce
heavy duty aluminum foil
Spray a large sheet of aluminum foil with nonstick cooking spray. Place 1 cup of sliced Little Potatoes on top of aluminum foil. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of diced onions (optional.) Dot one tablespoon butter on top of sliced potatoes. Season potatoes with 1 tsp. garlic salt and pepper (to taste.) Then top with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- 1.5 lbs. Baby Boomers by The Little Potato Company sliced in half
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion optional
- 4 tbsp butter or margarine sliced into cubes
- 4 tsp garlic salt divided use
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese divided use
- 4 hot dogs
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- heavy duty aluminum foil
- Preheat the grill to 400f degrees. Slice Baby Boomer potatoes in half.
- Spray a large sheet of aluminum foil with nonstick cooking spray. Place 1 cup of sliced Little Potatoes on top of aluminum foil. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of diced onions (optional)
- Dot one tablespoon butter on top of Creamer potatoes.
- Season potatoes with 1 tsp. garlic salt and pepper (to taste)
- Then top with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
Top with one hot dog. Then drizzle with about 1/4 cup barbecue sauce. Wrap the packet up by folding in the sides. Continue with the last 3 packets.
- Place on the preheated grill and cook for 15-20 minutes (until potatoes are fork tender.)
- Carefully open the package and dig in! Top with sliced green onions (if desired.)
Feel free to use any precooked, smoked sausage with this recipe!