These Creamy Garlic Potato Packets are so simple to make but are so delicious. Diced potatoes, heavy cream and garlic all wrapped up in foil. Make them in the oven, on the grill or over a campfire!
A DELICIOUS GRILLED SIDE DISH
These Creamy Garlic Potato Packets have been a favorite of ours for the pasty 20 years or so. I make them a lot because they are so good but I can put them together fairly quickly. I like to make them when I have guests over because I know they will always be a huge hit! If you need a new side dish for your grilled meats, give these Creamy Garlic Potato Packets a try!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CREAMY GARLIC POTATO PACKETS:
No. Milk is far too thin to use here. You need the thickness and richness of the heavy cream.
Yes. Prepare the same way. Put on a grill over medium heat for about 35-45 minutes (check after the first 30 minutes.) Also, make sure you clean your grill really well. If there are any old, crusty bits on your grates, then it may poke a hole in the aluminum foil.
Generally, you can pretty much put on any toppings you would usually enjoy on a baked potato. Top with diced chives, shredded cheese or bacon.
No it is not necessary. The skin becomes fork tender as they cook. But if you absolutely cannot stand potato skin, you can certainly peel them.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- russet potatoes
- salted butter
- heavy cream
- salt & pepper
- nonstick aluminum foil
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY GARLIC POTATO PACKETS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F) or preheat your grill. Give your potatoes a good scrub with a paper towel or rinse them off a bit and dry. Dice potatoes into cubes. Leaving the skin on.
You’re gonna need 4 sheets of nonstick aluminum foil squares to make the packets. On each of the four squares, divide up the cubed potatoes and place a tbsp. of butter on top. Evenly sprinkle minced garlic over each of the four servings (also, add onion if you’re using). Then sprinkle with kosher salt & pepper.
Fold up the sides but leave an opening at the top
Now, pour a bit of the heavy cream onto each of the potato packets. Evenly distribute the cream as best you can between all four packets. Feel free to add a bit more cream as necessary.
Fold up the packets and place packets on a baking sheet and cook for about 45 minutes (until fork tender.)
Be careful when opening the packets because the steam is gonna come outta there fast and furious. Now dig in! Serves 4
Cook’s Note: These packets go so well with my grilled steak recipe. Be sure to check it out here: Steak Marinade with Steakhouse Butter!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Creamy Garlic Potato Packets
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F)
- Give potatoes a good scrub under water to clean the skin.
- Dice potatoes into cubes. Leaving the skin on.
- On each of the four aluminum foil squares, divide up the cubed potatoes and place on top of the foil then top each with 1 Tablespoon of butter.
- Evenly sprinkle minced garlic over each of the four servings (also, add onion if you’re using).
- Then sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
- Fold up the sides but leave an opening at the top.
- Pour a bit of the heavy cream onto each of the potato packets. Evenly distribute the cream as best you can. Feel free to add a bit more cream as necessary.
- Seal up each of the packets and place them on a baking sheet and cook for about 45 minutes (until fork tender).
- Be careful when opening the packets because the steam is gonna come outta there fast and furious.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: June 2011
Updated and republished: May 2019