These Creamy Garlic Potato Packets are so simple to make but are so delicious. Diced potatoes, cream, garlic and salt and pepper all wrapped up in foil. Make them in the oven, on the grill or over a campfire!
CREAMY GARLIC POTATO PACKETS
In the last couple of years, this side dish has quickly become a favorite of ours. My husband can never remember the name of them, he just says "Can you make those potato thingies in the aluminum foil." I know exactly what he is referring to.
GARLIC, BUTTER, CREAM, POTATOES = HEAVEN
It is such an easy concept and it makes one potato go a long way. One large potato is enough for me and my husband. I've said this before but my husband is a true meat and potatoes man. To the core. Hard core. So naturally, he went nuts over this. Now, I am an onion lover and if you are too, I suggest you throw some in there. My husband (Mr. Picky eater, with a capital "P") will turn hide and run if he sees even a hint of onion. And it's hard to sneak them in on a dish like this. But he does love garlic, so garlic it is!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
nonstick aluminum foil
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY GARLIC POTATO PACKETS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F) or preheat your grill. Give your potatoes a good scrub with a paper towel or rinse them off a bit and dry. Dice potatoes into cubes. Leaving the skin on.
You're gonna need 4 sheets of nonstick aluminum foil squares to make the packets. On each of the four squares, divide up the cubed potatoes and place a tbsp. of butter on top. Evenly sprinkle minced garlic over each of the four servings (also, add onion if you're using). Then sprinkle with kosher salt & pepper.
Cook's Note: Trying doing these on the grill. Prepare the same way. Put on a grill sheet over medium heat for about 35-45 minutes (check after the first 30 minutes). Also, make sure you clean your grill really well. If there are any old, crusty bits on your grates, then it may poke a hole in the aluminum foil (or you could just double-foil these packets). Be sure to check out my STEAK MARINADE AND STEAKHOUSE BUTTER recipes!
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, YOU SHOULD TRY THESE!
CREAMY GARLIC POTATO PACKETS
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 2 tbsp minced garlic divided use
- 4 tbsp salted butter divided use
- ⅓ cup heavy cream divided use
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ yellow onion diced (optional)
- Nonstick aluminum foil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F)
- Give your potatoes a good scrub with a paper towel or rinse them off a bit and dry.
- Dice potatoes into cubes. Leaving the skin on.
- You're gonna need 4 sheets of nonstick aluminum foil squares to make the packets.
- On each of the four squares, divide up the cubed potatoes and place on top of the foil then top each with 1 tbsp. of butter.
- Evenly sprinkle minced garlic over each of the four servings (also, add onion if you're using).
- Then sprinkle with kosher salt & pepper.
- Fold up the sides but leave an opening at the top.
- Pour a bit of the heavy cream onto each of the potato packets.
- Evenly distribute the cream as best you can.
- Feel free to add a bit more cream as necessary.
- Seal up each of the packets and place them on a baking sheet and cook for about 45 minutes (until fork tender).
- Be careful when opening the packets because the steam is gonna come outta there fast and furious.
Originally published: June 2011
Updated and republished: May 2019