Fire up the grill and prepare to go loco for this sizzling hot Pollo Loco recipe that’s bursting with flavor and sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
GRILLED LIME CHICKEN WITH QUESO
When it comes to summertime grilling, there’s nothing quite like the delicious smoky flavor of grilled chicken. And if you’re looking to spice things up a bit, this Pollo Loco recipe is just what you need. Marinated in a zesty blend of citrus, herbs, and spices, this chicken is bursting with flavor and perfect for a backyard barbecue or a quick weeknight dinner. Fire up the grill, grab a cold drink, and get ready to go loco for this tasty and easy recipe!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Pollo Loco is a popular Mexican-style grilled chicken dish that’s marinated in a flavorful blend of citrus, herbs, and spices.
The best way to cook Pollo Loco is on a grill or in a grill pan. This will give the chicken that delicious smoky flavor that makes this dish so popular.
Of course not! If you have a favorite queso recipe you can use that or try my Homemade Crock Pot Queso recipe!
It’s best to marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours or overnight for the best flavor. However, if you’re short on time, you can still get great results with a shorter marinating time.
Absolutely! This recipe can be used for with pretty much any cut of chicken. Bone-in chicken breasts and chicken thighs work wonderfully with this recipe.
Yes, you can marinate the chicken ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to grill it. This makes it a great option for meal prep or for entertaining.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- olive oil
- fresh lime juice
- better than bouillon chicken base (optional)
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- chicken breasts
- queso dip
- diced tomato
- chopped cilantro
HOW TO MAKE POLLO LOCO:
Combine first 6 ingredients in a gallon-size zip top bag. Close bag and squish it around with your fingers to combine ingredients.
Add in chicken breasts. Squish it some more to make sure the marinade coats all the chicken pieces.
Place bag into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. When ready, preheat grill to medium-high heat. Grill chicken on each side until internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165f degrees.
While chicken is cooking warm up queso dip (this can be done on the stovetop or in the microwave). When chicken is ready, serve on top of rice.
Drizzle warm queso on top of chicken and garnish with diced tomatoes and cilantro.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
For the chicken:
For the topping:
- 1 jar queso dip
- 1 diced tomato
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Combine1/8 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, 2 Tablespoons Better than Bouillon® Roasted Chicken Base, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder in a gallon-size zip top bag. Close bag and squish it around with your fingers to combine ingredients.
- Add in 3-4 chicken breasts. Squish it some more to make sure the marinade coats all the chicken pieces.
- Place bag into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. When ready, preheat grill to medium-high heat. Grill chicken on each side until internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F degrees.
- While chicken is cooking, warm up 1 jar queso dip (this can be done on the stovetop or in the microwave). When chicken is ready, serve on top of rice.
- When chicken is ready, drizzle warm queso on top and garnish with 1 diced tomato and 1/2 cup chopped cilantro.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.