Marshmallow fluff, whipped hot cocoa topping and moist chocolate cake make this Hot Chocolate Poke Cake the indulgent winter cake of your dreams!
AN EASY, FUN DRINK-THEMED CAKE
This Hot Chocolate Poke Cake is for all of you hot chocolate aficionados. It encompasses everything in the drink but in cake form. With chocolate cake, marshmallows and more, this cake is super easy to throw together and even easier to eat and enjoy! I was inspired to make this cake from my friend Kelsey over at Dance Around the Kitchen because it looked so good! I did add a few of my own twists to the recipe to really take it over the top! I promise this will be one your whole family will enjoy. If you want a fun cake to try, then you need to make this Hot Chocolate Poke Cake recipe!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Poke cake (sometimes called poke hole cake) is a cake recipe that has holes poked in it after baking, usually with the handle of a wooden spoon or a wooden skewer. Then a liquid is poured over the baked cake to soak into the holes.
You can use your favorite chocolate cake mix. I prefer Duncan Hines brand dark chocolate cake mix.
Yes. You can use a container of marshmallow fluff. Put the fluff into a microwave safe bowl and heat in 10 second increments until smooth and pourable. Do not add the butter that is listed in this recipe though. It is not needed if you are using the fluff.
Poke holes through the cake about 1 inch apart. Make sure the holes aren't too close together or too far apart—if they're too close together, your cake could fall apart when you try to cut it; if they're too far apart, there may not be enough filling throughout the cake.
This cake can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days covered in the pan with plastic wrap or in an airtight container. I do not recommend freezing.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- dark chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients called for on the box
- mini marshmallows
- heavy whipping cream (or Cool Whip)
- hot cocoa mix
- chocolate syrup, optional
- chocolate chips, optional
HOW TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE POKE CAKE:
Make the chocolate cake according to package instructions.
Pour into a 9x13-inch baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Bake according to package instructions, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Poke the cake all over with the bottom of a wooden spoon or any round end handles. You want the holes to be a decent size for the filling to get down into.
In a saucepan, melt mini marshmallows with butter.
Mix constantly until melted and smooth.
Pour this marshmallow mixture over the cake and make sure you get it down into the holes.
In another bowl, combine the heavy whipping cream and the hot cocoa mix and whip until stiff peaks form (about 3 to 4 minutes).
Frost the cake with the whipped chocolate cream.
Garnish with chocolate sauce and mini marshmallows and/or chocolate chips.
Let the cake rest in the refrigerator for a few hours so the cake absorbs the marshmallow fluff before serving. Serve chilled with a cup of hot cocoa for a decadent dessert.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
Hot Chocolate Poke Cake
- 15.25 ounce dark chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients called for on the box
- 2 (10 ounce) bags mini marshmallows
- 5 Tablespoons salted butter (can use unsalted)
- 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream (or Cool Whip)
- ¼ cup (2 packets) hot chocolate mix
- mini marshmallows
- chocolate syrup
- mini chocolate chips
- Make the chocolate cake according to package instructions.
- Pour into a greased 9x13-inch pan and smooth out. Bake cake according to package instructions.
- Poke the cake all over with the bottom of a wooden spoon or any round end handles. It should be large enough for the filling to get down into.
- In a saucepan, melt mini marshmallows with butter. Mix constantly until melted and smooth.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over the cake and make sure to fill the holes.
- In another bowl, whisk the heavy whipping cream and the hot chocolate mix and whip until stiff peaks form and no longer grainy (about 3 to 4 minutes). I find this easiest to do with a stand mixer using the whisk attachment.
- Frost the cake with the whipped hot chocolate cream and garnish with chocolate sauce and mini marshmallows and/or mini chocolate chips.
- Let the cake rest in the refrigerator for a few hours so the cake absorbs the marshmallow fluff before serving.
- You can use your favorite chocolate cake for this. I prefer Duncan Hines brand.
- Cool Whip can be substituted for the homemade whipped cream.
- Make sure your holes are larger so it will fit the marshmallow filling.
- This needs to chill for about 2 hours to let the filling soak into the cake.
- A container of marshmallow fluff can be substituted for the melted marshmallow/butter mixture. In a small bowl, microwave marshmallow fluff for 10 seconds until smooth and easy to pour. Stir it well to make sure it is easy enough to pour. Do not add the butter that is in this recipe though. It won't be needed if you are using the fluff.