An authentic Hawaiian Huli Huli Chicken recipe that is marinated in a delicious soy sauce marinade with fresh ginger and garlic. Grilled for the best taste!
HAWAIIAN HULI HULI CHICKEN RECIPE
WHAT IS HULI HULI CHICKEN?
- Huli Huli is Hawaiian for "Turn, Turn." It is basically a Hawaiian version of teriyaki chicken. Patricia remembers this being sold in Hawaii often for school fundraisers. The chicken is on a rotisserie skewer and is turned over a fire and basted regularly with a sweet sauce which is similar to a sweet Teriyaki sauce.
- I think it is best served with some sticky rice or HAWAIIAN MACARONI SALAD. I always make extra sauce so I can baste the chicken as it cooks. So delicious!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
white wine (or chicken broth)
sugar (I like Sugar in the Raw)
freshly grated ginger
HOW TO MAKE HAWAIIAN HULI HULI CHICKEN:
CRAVING MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS ONE? GIVE THESE A TRY!
HAWAIIAN MACARONI SALAD
FAST & EASY CHICKEN TERIYAKI
HONEY GARLIC GLAZED CHICKEN
POTATO & HAM FRIED RICE
EASY PINEAPPLE CRUMB CAKE
AIR FRYER CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
HONEY GARLIC BAKED DRUMSTICKS
HAWAIIAN HULI HULI CHICKEN
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar (I like Sugar in the Raw)
- 1 ½ tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove fresh garlic minced
- 3 lbs of chicken parts: breasts, leg quarters, wings (whatever your preference)
- Combine all ingredients except the chicken parts. Mix thoroughly until the sugar is well-dissolved. Marinate the chicken parts in a zip-top bag for at least 2 hours. Overnight is best.
To make in the oven:
- Bake the chicken at 350F for 1 hour, basting occasionally.
To make on a grill:
- Grill the chicken over low heat for 45-60 minutes turning the pieces halfway through cooking time, basting occasionally.
Originally published: June 2011
Updated & republished: June 2019