An authentic Hawaiian Huli Huli Chicken recipe that is marinated in a delicious soy sauce marinade with fresh ginger and garlic. Grilled for the best taste!
HAWAIIAN HULI HULI CHICKEN RECIPE
WHAT IS HULI HULI CHICKEN?
Huli Huli is Hawaiian for "Turn, Turn." It is basically a Hawaiian version of teriyaki chicken. Patricia remembers this being sold in Hawaii often for school fundraisers. The chicken is on a rotisserie skewer and is turned over a fire and basted regularly with a sweet sauce which is similar to a sweet Teriyaki sauce.
VIDEO INCLUDED BELOW:
STRAIGHT OUTTA HAWAI'I
I think it is best served with some sticky rice or HAWAIIAN MACARONI SALAD. I always make extra sauce so I can baste the chicken as it cooks. So delicious!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
white wine (or chicken broth)
sugar (I like Sugar in the Raw)
freshly grated ginger
HOW TO MAKE HAWAIIAN HULI HULI CHICKEN:
CRAVING MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS ONE? GIVE THESE A TRY!
HAWAIIAN HULI HULI CHICKEN
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar (I like Sugar in the Raw)
- 1 ½ tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove fresh garlic minced
- 3 lbs of chicken parts: breasts, leg quarters, wings (whatever your preference)
- Combine all ingredients except the chicken parts. Mix thoroughly until the sugar is well-dissolved. Marinate the chicken parts in a zip-top bag for at least 2 hours. Overnight is best.
To make in the oven:
- Bake the chicken at 350F for 1 hour, basting occasionally.
To make on a grill:
- Grill the chicken over low heat for 45-60 minutes turning the pieces halfway through cooking time, basting occasionally.
Originally published: June 2011
Updated & republished: June 2019