This easy baked ziti is a huge family favorite. Creamy, cheesy alfredo pasta topped with a beefy spaghetti sauce! Then topped with melted cheese!
EASY BAKED ZITI CASSEROLE
HOW-TO VIDEO INCLUDED BELOW:
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS DELICIOUS BAKED ZITI:
- I like the Penne pasta because it has those little ridges in it. And those little ridges are really good at hanging onto the pasta sauce. But if you prefer the Ziti pasta, then use that instead of the Penne. This recipe is versatile and you can use almost any other pasta noodle you prefer. I love it in this CREAMY GARLIC PENNE PASTA.
- When I make this, I usually purchase an extra can of spaghetti sauce so we can pour extra sauce over the top when serving.
- Try using different flavored Alfredo sauces – like garlic or basil.
- Ground turkey or pork can be used.
- Want an extra kick? Try adding some ground Italian sausage to the mixture!
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE BAKED ZITI:
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Prepare pasta according to directions. In a medium sauce pan, brown ground beef with onion (if using.) After beef is browned and crumbled, drain excess grease. Put back in pot and pour in one jar of spaghetti sauce.Keep mixture on low until pasta is done. When pasta is finished, drain well. You want the pasta as dry as possible. Put pasta back in large pot (with heat off) and pour in jar of alfredo sauce. Combine until thoroughly coated.
Pour pasta mixture into bottom of 9×13 dish.Cover pasta with spaghetti sauce mixture.
Originally published: May 2011
Updated and republished: February 2020
EASY BAKED ZITI
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (32 oz) jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 1 (16 oz) jar alfredo sauce
- 1 lb penne pasta (or ziti or rigatoni)
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Prepare pasta according to directions.
- In a medium sauce pan, brown ground beef with onion (if using).
- After beef is brown and crumbled, drain excess grease.
- Put back in pot and pour in one jar of spaghetti sauce.
- Keep mixture on low until pasta is done.
- When pasta is finished, drain excess water from pasta. You want the pasta as dry as possible.
- Put pasta back in large pot (with heat off) and pour in jar of alfredo sauce. Combine until thoroughly coated.
- Pour pasta mixture into bottom of 9 x 13 dish.
- Cover pasta with spaghetti sauce mixture.
- Don’t put the pot that you used for the spaghetti sauce in with the dirty dishes yet. Keep that pot out and start heating up second jar of spaghetti sauce on low heat. Put a cover on it to keep warm until ziti is finished baking.
- Sprinkle top with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let rest for about 5 minutes after taking out of oven.
- Serve portions onto plates, and pour some of the heated spaghetti sauce on top.