Sometimes the meals I make are inspired by my favorite restaurant foods. If you’ve ever been to a Cheddar’s restaurant then this will be a familiar dish to you. They call it Spasagna* there (spaghetti plus lasagna.) If you’ve never heard of it, well, it’s about time you do. Basically, it is cooked spaghetti noodles tossed with alfredo (cheese) sauce, baked in the oven, and then topped with a meaty red sauce. After I tasted this years ago, I knew I had to recreate a version of it at home.
Now, you will never hear me say that something tastes exactly like it does in a restaurant. Because the truth is, I can never get anything exactly like it is in the restaurant. But I can come close sometimes and I think the end result of this one turns out pretty darn good, even if it isn’t an exact match.
For this recipe, I’ve used some convenience foods to save time (and dishes!) But if you have the time and don’t mind dirtying up a few more pots, you can definitely have fun with this recipe by making your own alfredo sauce and meat sauce from scratch.
1 (26 oz.) jar spaghetti sauce
1 (16 oz.) jar alfredo sauce (cheese sauce)
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Cook spaghetti noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles very well.
While the spaghetti noodles are cooking, brown and crumble ground beef in a large sauce pan. Drain excess grease.
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 26 oz jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 16 oz jar alfredo sauce
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees.
- Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Cook spaghetti noodles according to package directions.
- Drain noodles very well.
- While the spaghetti noodles are cooking, brown and crumble ground beef in a large sauce pan.
- Drain excess grease.
- Put ground beef back in pan and add spaghetti sauce.
- Stir to combine well.
- Meanwhile, once the cooked noodles are drained, put them back into the pot.
- Stir in alfredo (cheese) sauce and Italian seasoning.
- Stir well to thoroughly coat noodles.
- Place spaghetti noodles into prepared baking dish.
- Cover with spaghetti sauce mixture.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 minutes (until cheese is melted and bubbly.)
Allow to cool for about 10 minute then slice and serve with a salad and garlic bread.
*Spasagna is a registered trademark of Cheddar’s Restaurant