Homemade Beefy Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 pounds ground beef or sausage or one pound of each
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 tbsp grape jelly
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, on medium heat, brown and crumble ground beef along with the onions and green pepper.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Drain excess grease.
Put drained beef back into the pot. Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Give it all a good stir.
- Keeping heat on medium.
- Then add in grape jelly, Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, Italian seasoning and dried basil.
- Stir then cover and allow mixture to simmer gently for at least 30 minutes.
- Or, you can put it all into a slow cooker and let it simmer on low for several hours.
- This sauce really just gets better and better the longer it simmers.
This is a very meaty pasta sauce. If you prefer more sauce than meat, then you could scale down the beef to one pound. You can use sausage, ground turkey or ground pork. And, if you have it on hand, instead of the dried basil, the original recipe suggested using 12 leaves of fresh basil, cut into ribbons, and added in 5 minutes before serving.