HOMEMADE BEEFY SPAGHETTI SAUCE
A SECRET INGREDIENT
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE:
In a large pot, brown and crumble ground beef along with the onions and green pepper. Season with salt & pepper.
Drain excess grease. Put beef back into the pot. Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste.
Give it all a good stir. Then add in grape jelly, Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, Italian seasoning and dried basil.
Stir then cover and allow mixture to simmer gently for at least 30 minutes. Or, you can put it all into a slow cooker and let it simmer on low for several hours.
This sauce really just gets better and better the longer it simmers. And leftovers freeze beautifully. This makes quite a bit of sauce so it's good for a small crowd.
Cook's Note: If you prefer more sauce than meat (like I do), then just use one pound of beef. If you like it really meaty then use two pounds of beef. The original recipe calls for sausage (one package hot, and one package sweet). You can also use ground turkey or pork. It is a very adaptable recipe. And, if you have it on hand, instead of the dried basil, the original recipe suggested using 12 leaves of fresh basil, cut into ribbons, and added in 5 minutes before serving.
Post originally published: September 2012
Updated and republished: February 2019
Homemade Beefy Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 pounds ground beef or sausage, (or one pound of each)
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp grape jelly
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, on medium heat, brown and crumble ground beef along with the onions and green pepper.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Drain excess grease.
- Put drained beef back into the pot. Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Give it all a good stir.
- Keeping heat on medium.
- Then add in grape jelly, Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, Italian seasoning and dried basil.
- Stir then cover and allow mixture to simmer gently for at least 30 minutes. Then serve.