With fresh ingredients and less than 30 minutes, you can have this Easy Homemade Tomato Basil Sauce done in no time. Perfect for any pasta!
A TASTY PASTA SAUCE RECIPE
Love pasta? Have you tried to make your own pasta sauce? I enjoy a good store-bought sauce but sometimes it’s nice to make your own when you have the time. This recipe for Tomato Basil Sauce is very simple and it is full of flavorful ingredients and is great for pasta or as a dipping sauce. This is just one of those recipes that you want to have in your back pocket when you are tired of the same old pasta sauce and want something just a little different. So if you want to try your hand at making a simple but delicious sauce recipe, this Easy Tomato Basil Sauce recipe is the one for you!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Yes absolutely! Add grilled chicken or shrimp on the side or eat it as-is for a meatless Monday meal.
We like any pasta for this recipe really. It works with everything. We used penne for this recipe but you can use spaghetti, linguine, cavatappi, etc.
No, you will want to add the diced tomatoes with the liquid since we are not adding any more liquid to this recipe.
You can mix this in to make a cold pasta salad or use it as a dipping sauce for bread sticks, pizza and more.
This can be stored in an airtight container where it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This can also be frozen. Place in a freezer container and it will keep for up to 3 months. To defrost, place in refrigerator overnight and reheat in the microwave or on stovetop.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- salted butter
- olive oil
- petite diced tomatoes
- lemon juice
- kosher salt
- basil leaves
- cooked Pasta of your choice
HOW TO MAKE EASY TOMATO BASIL SAUCE:
Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and oil to the pan, once the butter is melted add the white part scallions, garlic, and parsley to the pan, let it cook until fragrant, 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
Add the tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, stir everything until combined.
Bring to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add the fresh basil and green part scallions, stir to combine.
Take off the heat and serve with pasta of your choice.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES?
Easy Tomato Basil Sauce
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 scallions thinly sliced, green and white parts separated
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 56 ounces 2 28 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes, not drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 fresh basil leaves chiffonade
- Cooked Pasta of your choice
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and oil to the pan, once the butter is melted add the white part scallions, garlic, and parsley to the pan, let it cook until fragrant, 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, stir everything until combined.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the fresh basil and green part scallions, stir to combine.
- Take off the heat and serve with pasta of your choice.
- Nutritional value does not include pasta.
- This can be frozen, see my tips above on how to do that.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.