Bubble Up Lasagna recipe uses biscuits, sauce, sausage and gooey melted cheese to make the easiest and yummiest 30-minute meal!
AN EASY FAMILY FAVORITE MEAL
Raise your hand if you've ever had BUBBLE UP PIZZA. Bubble Up Pizza is basically a baked casserole made with canned biscuits, pizza sauce, cheese and pizza toppings (most commonly, pepperoni.) It was a dish I had as a kid. Because let's face it, any recipe with the word pizza in it, I was gonna eat. Well shoot, that probably still holds true. Unless anchovies are involved. I just can't get on board with anchovies.
CANNED BISCUITS AND LASAGNA TOPPINGS
I did change my Mom's recipe up just slightly by switching out the cottage cheese for ricotta cheese and I added a touch more Parmesan cheese to the mix. It was a winner, winner lasagna dinner!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- Italian sausage (or ground beef)
- spaghetti sauce
- ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Pillsbury Grands Jr. Biscuits
- mozzarella cheese
HOW TO MAKE BUBBLE UP LASAGNA:
Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. In a bowl, combine 1 cup of spaghetti sauce (set aside the rest for later use), ricotta cheese and parmesan cheese.
Cut up biscuits into eighths. Now, you can just cut it up into fourths if you want bigger biscuit pieces. I just prefer mine in smaller, more bite size pieces. Because remember, these are gonna puff up during cooking.
Mix biscuits with cheese and sauce mixture. Stir well.
Spread into prepared pan.
Cook Italian sausage. Make sure you break it up as it cooks ensuring it gets browned and cooked thoroughly. Drain any excess grease.
Turn off heat. Pour in remainder spaghetti sauce and stir well.
Spread meat mixture on top of biscuit layer.
Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
This part is optional but I always like to sprinkle a bit of Parsley Flakes over the top of the cheese layer. It doesn't really add an additional flavor but it gives it a nice pop of green color. It really is just for looks but if you don't have it on hand, you can skip this step.
Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes, until biscuits are cooked through.
In my oven, it was closer to the 30 minute mark.
Serve with a crisp green salad. I also served with some steamed broccoli.
WANT MORE RECIPES?
Bubble Up Lasagna (+Video)
- 1 pound Italian sausage (or ground beef)
- 24 ounce jar spaghetti sauce, divided use
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 12 ounce tube refrigerated Pillsbury Grands Jr. Biscuits
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cut up biscuits into eighths.
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup of spaghetti sauce (set aside the rest for later use), Ricotta cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Mix cut-up biscuits with cheese and sauce mixture and stir well. Spread into prepared baking dish.
- Cook Italian sausage. Make sure you break it up as it cooks ensuring it gets browned and cooked thoroughly. Drain any excess grease. Turn off heat and place drained sausage back in pan.
- Pour in remainder spaghetti sauce with sausage and stir well.
- Spread meat mixture on top of biscuit layer.
- Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese evenly on top. Sprinkle with dried parsley flakes (optional)
- Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes, until biscuits are cooked through (it took closer to 30 minutes in my oven).
- Serve with a crisp green salad and steamed veggies.
Originally published: September 2013
Updated & republished: June 2019