Let’s talk chicken wings. Do you like ’em? Do you make them often? Lots of folks don’t make wings that often because, let’s face it, between the breading and the frying, it can be a boatload of work for 5 minutes of eating. Plus, when you are having a party, the last thing you want to be doing is fussing around in the kitchen while you’re guests are having all the fun. This is where your slow cooker can help you out.
Not only can you have crazy tender and delicious chicken wings, but you can actually enjoy them without all the frying oil and fuss. These wings are perfect for the whole family. They aren’t spicy so kids (and those of us with acid reflux) can dig in easily. But they can totally be kicked up a notch by adding some hot sauce for your guests who like it hawt! My guys absolutely fell in love with this twist on BBQ Chicken Wings. And those boys are picky so we know we have a winner when they give it a thumbs up.
3 lbs. frozen chicken wings
salt & pepper, to taste
1 bottle spicy BBQ sauce
1/2 cup pineapple preserves
hot sauce, optional
Place frozen chicken wings into slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. No other liquid needs to be added.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
Chicken will produce a lot of liquid. Drain this liquid and add wings back to the crock pot. Take care when doing this because wings will be very tender.
Stir together BBQ sauce with pineapple preserves.
Pour this mixture over the wings.
Stir gently to coat wings in sauce.
Cover and cook on low for another 15-20 minutes. Then dig in!
Cook’s Notes: I used a spicy BBQ sauce here but this was not spicy at all. My nine year old son (who won’t touch anything the least bit spicy) gobbled these up he loved them so much. My hubby prefers a slightly more spicy wing so he’ll add a bit of hot sauce onto his wings. These are great for a crowd, and if you like, you can just leave some hot sauce out on the table for folks to add as they see fit.
Crock Pot Chicken Wings
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 8 hours 20 minutes
Total Time 8 hours 30 minutes
- 3 lbs . frozen chicken wings
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 bottle spicy BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple preserves
- hot sauce optional
- Place frozen chicken wings into slow cooker.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- No other liquid needs to be added.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Chicken will produce a lot of liquid.
- Drain this liquid and add wings back to the crock pot.
- Take care when doing this because wings will be very tender.
- In a bowl, combine BBQ sauce with pineapple preserves.
- Pour this mixture over the wings.
- Stir gently to coat wings in sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for another 15-20 minutes.