Disclosure: I was given a copy of the cookbook to review. No other compensation was given.
Southern Fudge Pie
This recipe for Southern Fudge Pie is for all you choco-holics out there. I had the good fortune recently to be given a dessert cookbook to review. And the fact that it was from Southern Living gave me a clue on how delicious the recipes on the inside were gonna be.
I have so many recipes from Southern Living stashed away in my cookbooks and folders. Many of them are recipes cut out from magazines over the years. I don’t care how fancy we get with technology with ebooks, and iPads and phones or whatever, nothing replaces holding paper in my hands.
Southern Living Cookbook
I love books. I love the feel of them. I love flipping through pages. Technology is wonderful and it makes so many things accessible to so many folks, but sometimes you just want to see and feel things on paper, or is it just me?
Classic Southern Recipes
So anyhow, when I got my hands on this cookbook, I could not wait to flip through to see the recipes. Normally, when I get a cookbook, I flip straight to the back where the dessert recipes are. I always start there. But this book, I could start right from the beginning because it is all about desserts. Correction: it’s all about Classic Southern desserts.
Everything from Fresh Georgia Peach Pie to New Orleans King Cake. Need a recipe for Red Velvet Cake, it’s in here. Or maybe a classic Lemon Bar, that’s in here too. All those classic, timeless, southern recipes are all in one book. There are so many to choose from and this book is beautifully illustrated. Each recipe is accompanied by gorgeous photos. Some recipes even have short tutorials on the bottom to help explain the directions further.
Chocolate Pie Delight
Bottom line: if you’re a fan of southern desserts and you love a good cookbook like I do, then this is a beautiful and reliable cookbook to add to your collection. And today, I thought I’d share one of the recipes from the book. I had such a hard time choosing so I let my boys decide, and this is what they chose. Hello chocolate!
3/4 cup butter
3 (1-oz.) unsweetened chocolate squares
3 large eggs
1 -1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Stirring often until melted (then take off heat). Beat eggs at medium speed with an electric or stand mixer for 5 minutes.
If you’re using a stand mixer, it’s important that you continually scrape down the sides so everything mixes evenly. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
Then slice and serve with ice cream, chocolate syrup and remaining chopped pecans. I didn’t get a picture of this with the drizzled chocolate syrup on top. But we did eat it that way and it added another chocolate-y kick to this that we loved.
Southern Fudge Pie
Southern Fudge Pie is a super easy but delicious homemade chocolate pie made with unsweetened chocolate squares, sugar, flour, butter, eggs and it has no crust! Top with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup for a simple, scrumptious dessert!
Keyword: fudge pie
Calories: 652 kcal
- 3/4 cup salted butter
- 3 1 oz unsweetened chocolate squares
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans divided use
- Toppings: vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, cook butter and chocolate.
- Stirring often until melted (then take off heat).
- Beat eggs at medium speed with an electric or stand mixer for 5 minutes.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until blended.
- Then gradually add chocolate mixture.
- Then add flour and vanilla extract, beating until blended.
- If you're using a stand mixer, it's important that you continually scrape down the sides so everything mixes evenly.
- Stir in 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- Pour into pie plate.
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes.
- The center should be firm when finished.
- Let pie cool.
- Then slice and serve with ice cream, chocolate syrup and remaining chopped pecans.
Southern Fudge Pie
Amount Per Serving
Calories 652 Calories from Fat 378
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 42g 65%
Saturated Fat 20g 100%
Cholesterol 142mg 47%
Sodium 238mg 10%
Potassium 227mg 6%
Total Carbohydrates 68g 23%
Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
Protein 7g 14%
Vitamin A 16.6%
Vitamin C 0.2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.