Low Carb Cheeseburger Casserole is made with ground beef, Italian sausage, onions, garlic, broccoli and of course – cheese! So good!
LOW CARB CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE
In my recipe share earlier this week for LOW CARB CHEESEBURGER SALAD, I mentioned I was going to try to categorize recipes on the site as best as possible (if I know for certain it falls under a certain diet category). This is another recipe that fits into the low carb category. The recipe comes from Diane who shared the recipe over at JUST A PINCH. It’s a cheesy low carb hamburger alfredo casserole with Italian sausage and there is some broccoli added in there to get some veggies in the mix.
VIDEO INCLUDED BELOW:
WHAT OTHER VEGETABLE CAN I USE BESIDES BROCCOLI?
Feel free to switch out the broccoli for another veggie you like. Squash and zucchini would work. If you aren’t doing low carb, you could definitely add par-boiled sliced potatoes. I could pretty much add potatoes to just about any dish! 🙂 Or, if you prefer a little crunch in your topping, you could sprinkle some crushed Ritz crackers on top. There are a lot of ways to change this up. It re-heats really well and also freezes really well if you want to make it ahead of time. Also, if you are like me, be generous with the garlic!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
1 lb ground beef
1 lb sweet Italian sausage
1 small onion, diced
salt & pepper, to taste
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 (8 oz) block cream cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp oregano, dried
2 tsp minced garlic
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE:
Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray an 11×7 (2 1/2 quart) casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large skillet, brown ground beef, sweet Italian sausage and diced onion over medium heat.
Season with a bit of salt and pepper; drain excess grease. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli florets until tender. You still want them to have a little crisp to them. We don’t want limp broccoli – ha! Season the broccoli with salt and pepper.
Place the block of cream cheese into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for about 45 seconds, until soft.
Stir cream cheese until creamy and smooth. Gradually whisk in the heavy cream. Finally, stir in the Parmesan cheese, oregano and garlic.
Combine cooked ground beef, sausage, broccoli along with prepared cream sauce directly into a greased casserole dish (2 1/2 quart or larger) and stir well. Taste test the mixture and add additional salt and pepper, if desired.
Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Cover with nonstick aluminum foil. Bake at 350f degrees for about 35-45 minutes. Cheese should be melted and the edges should be a very light golden brown.
Serve up and dig in!
LOW CARB CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 small onion diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets cut into bite size pieces
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups package shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray an 11x7 (2 1/2 quart) casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Note: If all you have is a 9x13 baking dish then just use that.
- In a large skillet, brown and crumble ground beef, Italian sausage and onion over a medium heat. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Once cooked, drain excess grease.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli just until tender. You want the broccoli to stay just a bit crisp. Season broccoli with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Place cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for about 45 seconds, until soft. Stir until creamy. Gradually stir in the heavy cream. Finally, stir in the Parmesan cheese, oregano and garlic.
- Combine cooked ground beef, Italian sausage, broccoli and cream sauce into prepared baking dish and stir together well. Taste test and add additional salt and pepper. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with nonstick aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350f degrees for about 35-45 minutes. Cheese should be melted and the edges should be a very light golden-brown.
LOOKING FOR MORE LOW CARB? GIVE THESE RECIPES A TRY!
CROCK POT LOW CARB LEMON GARLIC CHICKEN
LOW CARB CHEESEBURGER SALAD
LOW CARB PARMESAN CHICKEN WITH CREAMY BACON SAUCE
LOW CARB OMELET IN A MUG
LOW CARB BLT BITES