Low Carb Cheeseburger Casserole is made with ground beef, Italian sausage, onions, garlic, broccoli and of course - cheese! So good!
A BEEFY, CHEESY CASSEROLE DINNER
In my recipe share earlier this week for LOW CARB CHEESEBURGER SALAD, I mentioned I was going to try to categorize recipes on the site as best as possible (if I know for certain it falls under a certain diet category). This is another recipe that fits into the low carb category. It's a cheesy low carb hamburger casserole with Italian sausage and there is some broccoli added in there to get some veggies in the mix.
TIPS FOR MAKING CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE:
- Feel free to switch out the broccoli for another veggie you like. Squash and zucchini would work. If you aren't doing low carb, you could definitely add par-boiled sliced potatoes.
- If you prefer a little crunch in your topping, you could sprinkle some crushed Ritz crackers on top.
- There are a lot of ways to change this up. It re-heats really well and also freezes really well if you want to make it ahead of time. Also, if you are like me, be generous with the garlic!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- ground beef
- Italian sausage
- fresh broccoli florets
- cream cheese
- heavy cream
- grated Parmesan cheese
- dried oregano
- shredded mozzarella cheese
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE:
Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray an 11x7-inch (2 ½ quart) casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large skillet, brown ground beef, sweet Italian sausage and diced onion over medium heat.
Season with a bit of salt and pepper; drain excess grease. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli florets until tender. You still want them to have a little crisp to them. Season the broccoli with salt and pepper.
Place the block of cream cheese into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for about 45 seconds, until soft.
Stir cream cheese until creamy and smooth. Gradually whisk in the heavy cream. Finally, stir in the Parmesan cheese, oregano and garlic.
Combine cooked ground beef, sausage, broccoli along with prepared cream sauce directly into a greased casserole dish (2 ½ quart or larger) and stir well. Taste test the mixture and add additional salt and pepper, if desired.
Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Cover with nonstick aluminum foil. Bake at 350f degrees for about 35-45 minutes. Cheese should be melted and the edges should be a very light golden brown.
LOOKING FOR MORE LOW CARB? GIVE THESE RECIPES A TRY!
Low Carb Cheeseburger Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, cut into bite size pieces
- 8 ounce block cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups package shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray an 11x7 (2 ½ quart) casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Note: If all you have is a 9x13 baking dish then just use that.
- In a large skillet, brown and crumble ground beef, Italian sausage and onion over a medium heat. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Once cooked, drain excess grease.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli just until tender. You want the broccoli to stay just a bit crisp. Season broccoli with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Place cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for about 45 seconds, until soft. Stir until creamy. Gradually stir in the heavy cream. Finally, stir in the Parmesan cheese, oregano and garlic.
- Combine cooked ground beef, Italian sausage, broccoli and cream sauce into prepared baking dish and stir together well. Taste test and add additional salt and pepper. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with nonstick aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350f degrees for about 35-45 minutes. Cheese should be melted and the edges should be a very light golden-brown.