Cheeseburger and Fries Casserole is layers of flavor with ground beef, frozen French fries and gooey, melted cheese. An All-American family favorite!
AN ALL-AMERICAN CASSEROLE
What is more American than a cheeseburger and fries? Ok, well maybe apple pie. But what if we took the two and smashed them together into one easy-to-serve (and eat!) casserole! That's exactly what I did here. All the flavor without the bun!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Absolutely! I like how the shoestring fries cooked up on this. But if you prefer crinkle fries or seasoned fries, then by all means use those.
I know garlic isn't in a typical cheeseburger. However, I love the flavor it adds here but you can certainly skip it if you want. Don't like pickles? You can leave them out.
Look, you are cooking. You can do whatever you want. You don't need to ask my permission. If you like a different type of ground meat: sausage, venison, turkey, chicken or whatever - then use it if you enjoy it.
I tend to use cheddar or American cheese the most. But you can really play with this recipe and use shredded gouda, mozzarella, provolone or a Mexican cheese blend.
Yes. You could freeze before baking. Then bake from frozen. You will need to add on additional cooking time if cooking from frozen though. I haven't tested it yet so you'll have to play with the cooking time.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- ground beef
- salt and pepper
- dill pickle
- half and half
- shredded cheese
- frozen french fries
HOW TO MAKE CHEESEBURGER AND FRIES CASSEROLE:
Spray a 2 quart (11 x 7) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350f degrees. In skillet, brown ground beef with onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Drain excess fat from the cooked ground beef. Mix the pickles into the ground beef.
Spoon the mixture into prepared dish.
Whisk together eggs, mayo and half and half.
Pour egg mixture over beef mixture.
Sprinkle 1 cup shredded cheese over beef mixture.
Season again with salt and pepper. Top with frozen french fries. Season french fries with salt, pepper and a sprinkling of garlic powder.
Bake for 35 minutes or until french fries are cooked and crispy. Note: Place dish under the broiler for a few minutes if you want your fries a bit more crispy. Top with remaining cup of shredded cheese. Return to the oven until cheese is melted.
Slice and serve topped with shredded lettuce and tomato.
Optional: Drizzle a little Thousand Island dressing on top or ketchup and mustard!
WANT MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS? CHECK THESE OUT!
Cheeseburger and Fries Casserole
FOR THE CASSEROLE:
- 1 pound ground beef
- salt and pepper
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped dill pickle
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup half and half
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- ½ bag frozen shoestring french fries
- garlic powder
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- Thousand Island dressing
- Spray a 2 quart (11 x 7) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a skillet, brown ground beef with onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Drain excess grease. Put back in the skillet.
- Mix the pickles into the ground beef.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Whisk together eggs, mayo and half and half. Pour egg mixture over the beef mixture. Season again with a little salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle 1 cup shredded cheese over the beef mixture.
- Top with frozen french fries.
- Season french fries with salt, pepper and a sprinkling of garlic powder.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until french fries are crispy. Note: If you want your fries to be crispier, just place the dish under the broiler for a few minutes.
- Top with remaining cup of shredded cheese. Return to the oven until cheese is melted.
- Slice and serve topped with your favorite burger toppings!
- It's really important you season all the layers with salt and pepper. It will make all the difference!
- Use any type of frozen French fry that you prefer. The same goes for the shredded cheese.