Crock Pot Cheesy Pierogi and Kielbasa Casserole
I am always so thankful when I get feedback from previous recipes I’ve shared on here. As fun and popular as the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker is right now, folks still really rely on their slow cookers for everyday meals. So I am so happy to hear you guys still want these super simple crock pot meals! Having said that, I don’t test every recipe in the both slow cooker and the Instant Pot. If I do, I will certainly put the instructions on here. If I haven’t tested it, then unfortunately, I won’t be able to give exact guidance on an Instant Pot version until I try it. This recipe for Crock Pot Cheesy Pierogi and Kielbasa Casserole is really cheesy deliciousness.
Meatless or not…
You could certainly make it without the kielbasa if you want something meatless. Or you can switch out the kielbasa with any other fully-cooked sausage flavor your family loves. I like the idea of substituting the kielbasa with some cooked and crumbled bacon. I bet that would be awesome! Also, there are a lot of flavors of frozen pierogies in American grocery stores these days that you can try this with. I tested this recipe with the cheese and onion flavor but there is potato, garlic, bacon, etc. All of those will help switch up the flavor to keep it a little new and different each time you make it.
4 cups chicken broth, divided use
2 (16 oz) boxes frozen pierogies (cheddar or onion)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided use
1 pound smoked Polska kielbasa
salt & pepper to taste
1 (8 oz.) block cream cheese, softened to room temp.
sliced green onions, for serving
About thirty minutes before serving, warm up cream cheese with remaining one cup of the chicken broth in microwave until the cream cheese is warm. Or you can warm it up on the stove top. Whisk it together until smooth.
- 4 cups chicken broth divided use
- 2 16 oz boxes frozen pierogies (cheddar or onion) like Mrs. T's brand
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided use
- 1 pound smoked Polska kielbasa
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese softened to room temp.
- sliced green onions for serving
- Combine three cups of chicken broth, frozen pierogies, cheddar cheese and kielbasa in a 4-6 quart crock pot. Cook on high 3-4 hours, or on low for 6 hours.
- About thirty minutes before serving, warm up cream cheese with remaining one cup of the chicken broth in microwave until the cream cheese is warm. Or you can warm it up on the stove top. Whisk it together until smooth.
- Pour this mixture into crock pot. Stir. Top with remaining one cup of cheese. Cover and cook on low for an additional 30 minutes. Then serve! Top with sliced green onions (optional)