These Easy Apple Dumplings are made with crescent rolls, cinnamon, butter, sugar and lemon lime soda. The flavor is amazing!
EASY APPLE DUMPLINGS
In my opinion, any time of year is a good time for apple recipes. Not just fall! There are just so many great ways to use apples and my brain just starts buzzing with all the possibilities. One of the first recipes that always comes to mind are these dumplings.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Absolutely! Peaches work perfect in this dessert. Check out my recipe for FRESH PEACH DUMPLINGS!
Yep! One good sized green apple is all you need! It will give you 4 servings of two dumplings per serving. You could double the recipe in a larger baking dish to get 8 servings.
No. I really don't think you taste that traditional crescent roll flavor. The crescent rolls take on a whole new flavor when combined with the cinnamon, sugar, butter and lemon lime soda.
They are certainly sweet but I think it's always hard to tell other people how sweet or salty something is. Things I think aren't sweet at all may be super sweet to others so I take those descriptions with a grain of salt. I think these are just the right amount of sweetness. However, others who are sensitive to sweetness may find them too sweet. I've always been told that the older we get, the less sweet we like our foods. You can always test the recipe out and then adjust to your particular tastes.
I always get this question on dessert recipes. I do not bake or cook with sugar substitutes. At least not regularly. So I really can never say for certain. However, if you are accustomed to baking with sugar substitutes then honestly you would know better than me if this would work and how to do it.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- green apple
- crescent rolls
- vanilla extract
- lemon lime soda
HOW TO MAKE EASY FRESH APPLE DUMPLINGS:
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray an 8-inch square pan with nonstick spray.
Peel and core apple. Cut apple into 8 slices.
Unroll tube of crescent rolls and separate into 8 pieces. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on the inside of the crescent roll.
Add one apple slice. Roll it up in a nice little bundle.
Continue with next 7 rolls the same way. Place all 8 dumplings into baking dish.
Mix together melted butter with sugar, flour and vanilla extract.
Pour butter mixture on top of crescent rolls.
Now take soda and pour it around the edges of the crescent rolls. Sprinkle with a little more cinnamon if you prefer.
Bake in preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes. The dumplings create the most amazing sauce on the bottom. So scoop that up when serving!
You can eat it all by itself or serve warm with ice cream.
WANT MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
EASY APPLE DUMPLINGS
- 1 green apple (Granny Smith or Golden Delicious)
- 1 (8 oz) tube crescent rolls
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (more, to taste)
- 1 ½ tablespoon flour
- ¾ cup lemon lime soda (Sprite or Mountain Dew)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray an 8-inch square pan with nonstick spray.
- Cut apple into 8 slices. Peel and core apple.
- Unroll tube of crescent rolls and separate into 8 pieces.
- On each roll, sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon. Add one apple slice.
- Roll it up in a nice little bundle. Continue with the next 7 rolls the same way.
- Place all 8 dumplings into a single layer in baking dish.
- Mix together melted butter with sugar, vanilla and flour.
- Pour butter mixture on top of crescent rolls.
- Pour soda around the edges of the crescent rolls.
- Sprinkle tops with a bit more cinnamon if you prefer.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Originally published: September 2011
Updated & republished: June 2019