This Crock Pot Creamy Potato and Ham Soup is so flavorful and perfect for leftover ham. Packed full of potatoes, cream and seasoning!
A DELICIOUSLY CREAMY CROCK POT SOUP
This Crock Pot Creamy Potato and Ham Soup is a hearty, stick-to-your-ribs soup that was a meal, not just a prelude to the main course. I love creamy potato soups so that was my inspiration for this. If you have any leftover holiday ham - make this soup!
PERFECT FOR LEFTOVER HAM
I wish y'all could have smelled my house as this was cooking throughout the day. It smelled so darn good! The ham gives this soup such great flavor and all of that gets infused as it cooks low and slow. And I don't think I love any herb quite as much as thyme. It is absolutely perfect for soups because it adds flavor without overpowering the other ingredients.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- little potatoes
- small smoked ham
- dried parsley
- dried thyme
- salt and black pepper
- chicken broth
- heavy cream
- instant potato flakes
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT HAM AND POTATO SOUP:
In a 6 quart (or larger) slow cooker, add in cubed potatoes. Then place in diced ham. Next, toss in diced onions and carrots.
Sprinkle with parsley, thyme and black pepper.
Pour chicken broth over mixture.
Then cover slow cooker with the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Then, take out about 4 cups of the little potatoes and mash them up.
Then put the mashed potatoes back into the slow cooker. Pour in heavy cream.
This next part is optional but I love the texture that it gives the soup. It thickens it up just a little bit. Pour in one cup of instant potato flakes. Then stir well.
Put the lid back on and cook for another 15 minutes. And serve! This is delicious served with a nice loaf of warm, crusty bread. Makes 12 (1 cup) servings.
CRAVING MORE? CHECK OUT THESE OTHER RECIPES!
Crock Pot Creamy Potato and Ham Soup
- 3 pounds little potatoes, cut into quarters (about 7 cups)
- 3 cups diced ham (buy a whole ham and dice it up)
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- salt (to taste)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- In a 6 qt (or larger) slow cooker, add in potatoes, diced ham, onions and carrots.
- Sprinkle with parsley, thyme and black pepper.
- Pour chicken broth over mixture.
- Cover slow cooker with the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Then take out about half of the cooked potatoes and mash them up.
- Put the mashed potatoes back into the slow cooker.
- Pour in heavy cream. Stir well.
- Slowly add instant pot flakes a little at a time and stir until it's reached your desired consistency (about one cup.)
- Put the lid back on and cook on low for another 15 minutes.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.