This easy Crock Pot Pepper steak is made with tender beef strips, peppers, onion and a tomato based sauce. The flavor is amazing!
CROCK POT PEPPER STEAK
I think this is another one of those dishes that people love or don’t love. You either like peppers or you don’t, right? There never seems to be a middle ground for this veggie.
I happen to love red and green peppers. My husband, not so much. But this is a dish I grew up with and so I love it. And anytime I can serve something over rice, I am all over it.
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH PEPPER STEAK?
I’m just gonna have to work on getting these boys to love peppers as much as I do. The bonus of making this in the crock pot is because you are cooking this meat low and slow, it comes out much more tender than just doing it on the stovetop. Serve it on top of rice or in flour tortillas as fajitas. Also, this Grilled Chili Lime Corn tastes amazing with this pepper steak.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
round steak or sirloin tip steak
salt & pepper
stewed tomatoes, with liquid
red pepper flakes
teriyaki (or soy sauce)
small yellow onion
Cook’s Tips: Remember when cutting steak to always cut against the grain for the most tender cut of meat. Also, you could use london broil or flank steak for this. If you want the sauce in this to be thicker, just add another cornstarch slurry (at the end) to it. Mix a tbsp. of water with a tbsp. of cornstarch. Add to the crock pot, stir, then turn on high and cook until thickened. Short on time? Just purchase fajita meat so the beef is already cut for you!
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT PEPPER STEAK:
Heat up vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. You want to get that oil heated up so that it is screaming hot. Pat beef strips with paper towel. Season strips of beef with garlic powder and salt and pepper. Carefully add in strips of beef to the hot pan.
Brown beef strips on both sides. They should be sizzling when you put them in there. It should only take about a minute per side. Do not cook through, just brown the outside. You’ll need to do this a couple of batches of beef at a time. Don’t try to cram them all in the pan at one time. They won’t brown if you do that.
Once they are all browned, transfer beef to crock pot. In a small bowl, crush and mix bouillon cube with hot water until dissolved. Then stir in cornstarch until dissolved. Pour into the crock pot with meat. Stir in stewed tomatoes. Then add in red pepper flakes, teriyaki (or soy sauce) and sugar. Give it all a stir. Then cover and cook on on low for about 6 hours.
During the last hour of cooking, add in the sliced peppers and onions.
Cover and cook for additional hour. Serve over rice. Or serve in tortillas.
Originally published: January 2013
Updated & Republished: March 2019
Crock Pot Pepper Steak
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 lbs round steak or sirloin tip steak, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 (15 oz) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 tbsp teriyaki or soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- Heat up vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. You want to get that oil heated up. It should be screaming hot.
- Season strips of beef with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Carefully place half the beef strips into hot pan. Brown beef strips on both sides. They should be sizzling when you put them in the pan. It should only take about a minute per side. Do not cook through, just brown the outside.
- Continue with the other half of the beef strips.
- Once they are all browned, transfer beef to crock pot.
- In a small bowl, crush and mix bouillon cube with hot water until dissolved. Then stir in cornstarch until dissolved. Pour this slurry into the crock pot with the beef.
- Add stewed tomatoes, red pepper flakes, Teriyaki (or soy) sauce and sugar.
- Give it all a quick stir. Then cover and cook on on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- During the last hour of cooking, add in your sliced peppers and onions.
- Cover and cook for additional hour.