These cherry pie bars are tasty and pretty! A homemade dessert that is easy to make and slices up and serves perfectly! Use any pie filling!
A DELICIOUSLY SIMPLE HOMEMADE DESSERT
Is there anything prettier than a cherry or strawberry dessert? I love the colors, I love the flavors and they are perfect for the holidays. You can use any flavor pie filling to switch it up a bit. Blueberry is another favorite of mine. As always, I love adding a little almond extract along with anything cherry. It really enhances the cherry flavor without overwhelming it.
TIPS FOR MAKING THESE DESSERT BARS:
- I have made this recipe with peach, strawberry, apple and blueberry pie fillings. All of them were amazing and worked perfectly!
- You will need a larger baking sheet for this. It is often called a jelly roll pan. Trust me, it'll get a ton of use once you make these bars one time. You'll be hooked! I just know you are going to fall in love with these bars. The cherry filling plays peekaboo around the dollops of dough. They slice up and serve beautifully.
- If you love this recipe, be sure to go have a look at my recipe for CHERRY CRUMBLE BARS!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- large eggs
- vanilla extract
- almond extract
- all-purpose flour
- cherry pie filling
- powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHERRY PIE BARS:
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
Gradually add flour.
Spread 3 cups dough into a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Spread with pie filling.
Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over filling. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
In a small bowl, mix confectioner's sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over top.
Makes about 12 large slices.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
HOMEMADE CHERRY PIE BARS
For the bars:
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 (21 ounce) cans cherry pie filling
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour.
- Spread 3 cups dough into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with pie filling.
- Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over filling. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix powdered sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over top.
- Use any flavor pie filling you prefer.
Originally published: October 2016
Updated & republished: September 2020
Recipe source: Taste of Home (2001)