These cherry pie bars are tasty and pretty! A homemade dessert that is easy to make and slices up and serves perfectly! Use any pie filling!
A DELICIOUSLY SIMPLE HOMEMADE DESSERT
Is there anything prettier than a cherry or strawberry dessert? I love the colors, I love the flavors and they are perfect for the holidays. You can use any flavor pie filling to switch it up a bit. Blueberry is another favorite of mine. As always, I love adding a little almond extract along with anything cherry. It really enhances the cherry flavor without overwhelming it.
TIPS FOR MAKING THESE DESSERT BARS:
- I have made this recipe with peach, strawberry, apple and blueberry pie fillings. All of them were amazing and worked perfectly!
- You will need a larger baking sheet for this. It is often called a jelly roll pan. Trust me, it'll get a ton of use once you make these bars one time. You'll be hooked! I just know you are going to fall in love with these bars. The cherry filling plays peekaboo around the dollops of dough. They slice up and serve beautifully.
- If you love this recipe, be sure to go have a look at my recipe for CHERRY CRUMBLE BARS!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- large eggs
- vanilla extract
- almond extract
- all-purpose flour
- cherry pie filling
- powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHERRY PIE BARS:
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
Gradually add flour.
Spread 3 cups dough into a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Spread with pie filling.
Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over filling. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
In a small bowl, mix confectioner's sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over top.
Makes about 12 large slices.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
HOMEMADE CHERRY PIE BARS
For the bars:
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 (21 ounce) cans cherry pie filling
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour.
- Spread 3 cups dough into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with pie filling.
- Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over filling. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix powdered sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over top.
- Use any flavor pie filling you prefer.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: October 2016
Updated & republished: September 2020
Recipe source: Taste of Home (2001)