Caprese Cornbread is an easy cornbread recipe made with tomato, basil and mozzarella. This is not only simple to make but the taste is outstanding!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Martha White. All opinions and text are my own.
SKILLET CAPRESE CORNBREAD
I actually debated calling this recipe: Tomato, Basil, Mozzarella Cornbread. I mean, because really, that's what it is. But, because I like alliteration, I thought Caprese Cornbread had a nice ring to it.
WHAT IS CAPRESE SALAD?
Insalata Caprese (in Italian it means: Salad of Capri) is a simple Italian salad of fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. Thank you to Wikipedia for that explanation. Google is a beautiful thing, no?Anyhow, a bit of olive oil is drizzled over the top of the whole salad. In this recipe, the tomatoes are sun-dried but it totally works here. Let's be honest, sun-dried tomatoes are not the purdiest things in the world, but daggone it - they are SO flavorful!
WHAT ARE SUN-DRIED TOMATOES?
- Sun-dried tomatoes are tomatoes that have had most of their moisture removed. They get much more sweet after this process (but not candy sweet).
- If you aren't real familiar with using sun-dried tomatoes, then this is the perfect recipe to try them.
- You can find the jars in a couple of places in your grocery store. My local Kroger actually has them in two locations: over by the canned tomatoes (usually on a top shelf) and in the aisle where all the pasta sauce and Italian products are located.
- The tomatoes are kept soaking in flavorful olive oil to keep them pliable and delicious
HOW TO MAKE SKILLET CAPRESE CORNBREAD:
EASY CORNBREAD TACO BAKE
CORNBREAD CHICKEN CASSEROLE
BEEFY CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
THE BEST CORNBREAD PIZZA
SKILLET CAPRESE CORNBREAD
- 2 6 oz packets Martha White Cotton Country Cornbread
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 12 oz container marinated mozzarella balls
- 1 7 oz jar sun-dried tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 450f degrees.
- Coat a 9 or 10-inch cast iron skillet with a layer of vegetable or olive oil.
- Be generous with the coating of oil since you don't want the cornbread to stick when trying to remove it.
- When oven is finished preheating, place the skillet into the oven to warm up (for about 6-8 minutes.)
- While skillet is warming up, prepare the cornbread batter.
- In a large bowl, mix together both packets of cornbread mix with water and egg.
- Finely chop basil and sun-dried tomatoes.
- And cut mozzarella balls in half.
- Add basil, mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes to cornbread batter.
- Stir gently until combined.
- When skillet has warmed, add cornbread batter to the skillet.
- Bake cornbread (on middle oven rack) for approximately 15 to 20 minutes (until golden brown.)