An easy and tasty breakfast, these Air Fryer French Toast Sticks are a family hit that are filling and fun!
AN AIR FRYER BREAKFAST RECIPE
It seems like we are using our little air fryers for everything these days, right> You no longer need to just use them for cooking frozen foods though. I continue to get asked for breakfast air fryer recipes so today I am sharing a recipe for Air Fryer French Toast Sticks! With easy to find ingredients, these come together in no time. If you are looking for a fun breakfast and another delicious recipe for your air fryer, then you have to try this Air Fryer French Toast Stick recipe!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
I like to use a thicker bread for these French Toast Sticks. It helps them stay together better so a Texas Toast works really great as well as challah and brioche.
For this recipe you do. Some recipes using the air fryer you do not but we will want to preheat it to 375F degrees for this one.
There is so many different things that you can top these with or dip these in. We went the simple route and used powdered sugar and maple syrup. But you can do a chocolate drizzle or dip, peanut butter, a powdered sugar glaze and so much more.
These go great with all different kind of breakfast foods. Fruit, bacon, sausage, eggs, etc. You can also just serve these on their own without having another side dish with them.
Keep in mind, every recipe that is made in an air fryer can be made in the oven. Air Fryers are just little convection ovens. Which means they circulate air as they cook. So, you could do this in your oven (with the same results) if you have a convection option on your oven. You could also use a regular oven (without a convection option) and just flip these over while they cook to help them crisp up.
These can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator where they will keep for up to 3-4 days. These can also be frozen, to do that let your french toast sticks cool and then place in a freezer container or bag separated by parchment paper where they will keep for up to 2 months. Let defrost in the refrigerator overnight. To reheat place in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- vanilla extract
- granulated sugar
- maple syrup for dipping
- powdered sugar for garnish, optional
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER FRENCH TOAST STICKS:
Before preparing your dish, preheat the air fryer to 375F degrees and spray the bottom of the air basket with non-stick cooking spray. Using a bread knife, slice each piece of bread into thirds. Set aside.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, butter and vanilla until the mixture is fully blended.
In another small bowl, combine the cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar until well blended. Set aside.
Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture on both sides until the piece is fully coated, but not soggy.
Lightly sprinkle each piece with the sugar mixture before placing it inside the air basket.
Bake the french toast sticks inside the air fryer on 375 degrees for 6 minutes.
When cooking time is complete, the french toast should be light and crispy. Serve immediately with maple syrup for dipping. If desired, gently sprinkle powdered sugar over the sticks as well.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- 8 slices thick sliced bread (these should be somewhat thicker slices)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ Tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ Tablespoon nutmeg
- ⅛ cup granulated sugar
- Maple syrup for dipping
- Powdered sugar for garnish optional
- Before preparing your dish, preheat the air fryer to 375F degrees and spray the bottom of the air basket with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a bread knife, slice each piece of bread into thirds. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, butter and vanilla until the mixture is fully blended.
- In another small bowl, combine the cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar until well blended. Set aside.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture on both sides until the piece is fully coated, but not soggy.
- Lightly sprinkle each piece with the sugar mixture before placing it inside the air basket. Leave a little space between sticks. Air needs to circulate around them to cook properly.
- Bake the French toast sticks inside the air fryer on 375F degrees for 6 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, the French toast should be light and crispy.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup for dipping. If desired, gently sprinkle powdered sugar over the sticks as well.
- Syrup and powdered sugar are not calculated in nutritional value.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket. Food does not cook properly or evenly when air cannot circulate well in an air fryer.
- This recipe can easily be doubled.
- Make sure you use a thicker bread such as Texas Toast or purchase a whole loaf of bread that you can slice yourself into thicker pieces.
- These can be frozen, see my tips above.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.