No limp and soggy french toast with this recipe! The thick bread in this Fluffy French Toast is dipped into a pancake-like batter - just like your favorite diner!
FRENCH TOAST DIPPED IN PANCAKE BATTER
Raise your hand if you're sick of soggy French toast? I know people who don't eat or make French toast just because of that problem. They like the flavors, just not the texture. Well, after you try this recipe, it's going to be the best feeling since, well, sliced bread. No sogginess but ALL the flavor!
PANCAKES + FRENCH TOAST = FLUFFY FRENCH TOAST
Basically what we are doing here is making a pancake batter and dipping the french toast in it. So these are kinda like pancakes and French toast all in one. You get a thin, fluffy pancake enveloping thick cinnamon French toast. If you want a more traditional French toast recipe, don't forget to check out my BRIOCHE FRENCH TOAST!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- ground cinnamon
- vanilla extract
- Texas Toast Bread (thick sliced bread)
HOW TO MAKE FLUFFY FRENCH TOAST:
In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar). Stir together well.
In an 8x8 square dish, or a wide bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (milk, eggs and vanilla extract).
Mix together the wet and dry ingredients. Whisk vigorously.
Batter will be lumpy. I know, for some folks, lumps just cannot exist in any kind of batter. But this is how the batter goes here. Begin heating up your large skillet over medium-high heat. It's best to use a nonstick skillet for this or a large nonstick electric skillet/griddle. If you don't have nonstick, be sure to coat the pan well with vegetable oil or nonstick cooking spray. Once skillet has heated up, begin dipping your bread slices into the batter. Dip one side of the bread, flip it over and dip the other. Let any excess drip off.
Then place coated bread immediately onto the pre-heated skillet.
Flip when browned and brown the other side.
Once both sides are golden brown, they are done! Sprinkle with a little powdered sugar and drizzle on some fresh maple syrup. Look at that thick, fluffy french toast. No sogginess!
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES LIKE THIS ONE? TRY THESE!
- PECAN PRALINE FRENCH TOAST
- PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST
- AIR FRYER FRENCH TOAST STICKS
- EASY SHEET PAN PANCAKES
- SOURDOUGH FRENCH TOAST
- PANCAKE SAUSAGE MUFFINS
- STRAWBERRY MUFFIN MIX WAFFLES
- BAKED FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
- HOMEMADE SAUSAGE GRAVY
Fluffy French Toast
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 slices Texas Toast bread (thick sliced bread)
- In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar.) Stir together well.
- In a square dish, or wide bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (milk, eggs and vanilla extract.)
- Add dry ingredients and wet ingredients together and whisk vigorously. Batter will be a little lumpy.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Begin dipping bread slices into the batter.
- Dip one side of the bread, flip it over and dip the other.
- Let excess batter drip off then place coated bread immediately onto the pre-heated skillet.
- Flip when browned and then brown the other side. About 4-5 minutes per side.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and drizzle on some maple syrup to serve!
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator (covered) for up to 2 days. They can also be frozen. Flash freeze the French toast on a baking sheet for about 30 minutes. Then place slices into a freezer safe ziptop bag. Freeze for up to 2 months.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: May 2015
Updated & Republished July 2021