For the glaze:
If you have a stand mixer, be sure to occasionally scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Now add the batter into the bundt pan.
Then add the rest of the blueberries on top.
Blueberry Muffin Cake
- For the cake
- 1 cup unsalted real butter softened to room temp., or 2 sticks
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp . vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp . lemon extract*
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp . baking powder
- 1/2 tsp . baking soda
- 1/2 tsp . salt
- 1 1/4 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 pound fresh blueberries
- For the crumble topping:
- 2 tbsp . real butter slightly softened
- 2 tbsp . brown sugar
- 3 tbsp . flour
- 2 tbsp . oats quick-cooking is fine
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp . lemon extract
- 2 tbsp . milk
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Spray your bundt pan (REALLY WELL) with nonstick baking spray (the kind with flour added.)
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. It should look nice and fluffy when combined.
- Then beat in eggs, vanilla extract and lemon extract into the sugar/butter mixture.
- Next, in a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir together with a fork until combined.
- At this point, you are going to alternately add in the flour mixture and buttermilk to the sugar/butter mixture.
- Add a little flour, then a little buttermilk, a little more flour and a little more buttermilk...until it's all incorporated.
- Don't overmix it. You want to stir just until it's all come together.
- If you have a stand mixer, be sure to occasionally scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Gently stir in HALF of the blueberries.
- Be very careful when stirring so you don't bust open all the berries.
- Just gently fold them in.
- Now add the batter into the bundt pan.
- Then add the rest of the blueberries on top.
- Bake for about 65-75 minutes.
- Oven times do often vary for baked goods. So be sure to test for doneness by using a toothpick. It should come out clean when you insert it into the cake. Cake should be golden brown and shouldn't be jiggly. Don't turn off oven after you take out cake. Don't even think about releasing the cake yet. It has to cool COMPLETELY. This could take an hour and a half or more.
- While the cake is cooling, make crumble topping.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl using a fork or your fingers.
- Mix until crumbly.
- Then spread mixture into a small baking pan and bake in 325F degree oven for about 8 minutes. Then take it out of oven and allow it to cool completely.
- Now you can turn off the oven.
- Once cake has been allowed to cool completely, you can release the cake from the bundt pan.
- This is the key to getting the cake to come out clean.
- The pan needs to be totally cooled, then it should release easily.
- Start making the glaze.
- Combine powdered sugar, lemon extract and milk.
- Stir well.
- I like my glaze a little on the thicker side but if you need to thin it out, just add a tad more milk until you reach desired thickness.
- Whisk together until smooth.
- Drizzle glaze over cake.
- Immediately sprinkle on crumble topping so that it sticks to the glaze.