A whole dinner in one, this Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Meal is an easy fix-it and forget-it dinner that is hearty, flavorful and great for busy weeknights!
AN AFFORDABLE CROCK POT DINNER
The slow cooker is one of my go-to kitchen appliances. I don’t care how many new shiny appliances come on the market, I still love my old faithful crock pot! This Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Meal is super easy with a small amount of ingredients but also super filling! You can cook it on low or high depending on your timeframe and you will have a delicious dinner at the end! This meal is perfect for those nights when you are super busy but still feel like a home-cooked meal. Chicken thighs are a much more affordable cut of chicken so this is definitely a bit more budget-friendly as well.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
No, you could certainly use skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs. However, you may want to brown the skin of the chicken first before popping into the slow cooker. This will give the skin a nice golden brown color and add to the overall flavor.
Baby potatoes are the perfect size for these. You could also chop up large chunks of red or gold potatoes. Just avoid using any starchier potato like a russet potato.
Yes, you can use regular paprika as well. I like the additional smoked flavor but it will taste just as good with the others. You can also omit the paprika and use Italian seasoning as well.
You can cook this on low for 8 hour or high for 4 hours.
This can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator where it will keep for up to 3 days. To reheat: place in the microwave until warmed through or place on a foil lined baking pan in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- smoked paprika
- vegetable oil
- baby red potatoes
- baby carrots
- red onion
- chicken broth
HOW TO MAKE A SLOW COOKER CHICKEN THIGHS MEAL:
Trim any excess fat from the chicken thighs and pat dry with paper towels. In a medium bowl combine the chicken thighs with paprika, salt, and pepper until evenly coated. Set aside while preparing the vegetables.
Cut all the baby potatoes in half then chop the red onion and mince the garlic.
Place the potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic in the bottom of a 5-6 quart oval slow cooker.
Heat a pan over medium-high heat, then add the oil. When the oil is heated, brown the chicken thighs in the pan, about 3-4 minutes per side. Do not overcrowd the chicken or the chicken will steam and not brown. Cook in batches if necessary.
Place browned chicken thighs on top of the vegetables then pour in chicken broth. Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours. Remove chicken, potatoes, and carrots from the slow cooker onto serving dishes.
Mix cornstarch and water together to make a slurry and add to the slow cooker. Turn the slow cooker on high to thicken broth into gravy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve up the chicken and drizzle with the gravy.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES?
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Meal
- Trim any excess fat from 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a medium bowl combine the chicken thighs with 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper until evenly coated. Set aside while preparing the vegetables.
- Cut the 2 pound baby red potatoes in half then chop 1 medium red onion and mince 3 cloves garlic.
- Place the potatoes, 1 pound baby carrots, onion, and garlic in the bottom of a 5-6 quart oval slow cooker.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat, then add 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil. When the oil is heated, brown the chicken thighs in the pan, about 3-4 minutes per side. Do not overcrowd the chicken or the chicken will steam and not brown. Cook in batches if necessary.
- Place browned chicken thighs on top of the vegetables then pour in 3 cups chicken broth.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken, potatoes, and carrots from the slow cooker onto serving dishes.
- Mix 3 teaspoons cornstarch and 3 teaspoons water together to make a slurry and add to the slow cooker. Turn the slow cooker on high to thicken broth into gravy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- You can use large red or yellow potatoes cut smaller.
- This can be cooked on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- You can sub for bone in skin on chicken thighs, see my tips above.
- The gravy made can be used for other meals.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.